Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Extreme USB Network Drive stopped working under Yosemite

Hi, a previously working Airport Extreme USB network drive (2 Gb stick) stopped working after I upgraded from Mavericks OS X to Yosemite. I now obtain the following:

There was a problem connecting to the server “Zed's AirPort Extreme”.

The version of the server you are trying to connect to is not supported.

Please contact your system administrator to resolve the problem.

Thank you so much for the advice, Zed.

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 26, 2014 4:46 PM

8 replies

Oct 27, 2014 6:34 AM in response to ZedVal

The first basic troubleshooting step is always the same.....power cycle the network.

To do that, power off the entire network......every device.....in any order that you want

Wait a minute

Power up the modem and let it run a few minutes

Power up the next device connected to the modem and let it run a minute

Keep starting devices one at a time about a minute apart until the network is back up

Check the network

What other troubleshooting steps have you performed?

Oct 27, 2014 7:55 AM in response to Bob Timmons

You can use this web site to ask him to fix you're problems http://www.apple.com/support

And chat with support .

Apple Support Communities

Bob Timmons has posted in the AirPort community.

The first basic troubleshooting step is always the same.....power cycle the network.

To do that, power off the entire network......every device.....in any order that you want

Wait a minute

Power up the modem and let it run a few minutes

Power up the next device connected to the modem and let it run a minute

Keep starting devices one at a time about a minute apart until the network is back up

Check the network

What other troubleshooting steps have you performed?

To post a reply, go to the discussion in Apple Support Communities.

You are receiving this email from Apple Support Communities. You can change your email preferences in your Apple Support Communities Profile.

TM and copyright © 2014 Apple Inc. 1 Infinite Loop, MS 96-DM. Cupertino, CA 95014.

All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Apple Support

Oct 27, 2014 8:31 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the basics, I appreciate that. There are three ways of connecting the USB to the Airport Extreme network as a network shared drive. Under the OS X Mavericks I was able to connect USB to the network using a "disk password" option. That stopped working under the OS X Yosemite. I was now able to connect the USB stick using "an account with password" option, so far so good. However, that option only works when I create a new account (not using my default administrator account). I can connect the USB as a networking drive via the Airport Extreme using that other than default account and I see two folders appearing on the networking drive: one goes by the name of the USB stick and the other by the name of the new account. Within a few seconds, however, the folder that goes by the name of the new account changes its name to the default account (i.e. my administrator account). One would think that he has just overcome the problem, but in every new session (after a fresh start of the MacBook Air, server/router, ..., and everything there is) I have to repeat the steps outlined above, the network does not remember the last successful connection of the USB as the networking drive. The network does, though, remember the settings for the new account I have created before. But whenever I try to connect the USB stick under a new session (fresh start of everything ...) I have to connect that USB stick to the network under that different non-administrator account, and again within seconds the name of the account/folder changes to my administrator account.

That only happens on my Mac (MacBook Air). My PC with Windows 7 which is also connected to my network, uses the new account only (logically) and sees the networking drive right from the start. The PC remembers the settings and whenever I start it anew it connects automatically to the networking drive.

Your helpful comments and advise will be much appreciated.

Thanks, Zed

Oct 27, 2014 9:01 AM in response to ZedVal

The next troubleshooting step would be to reset the AirPort Extreme back to factory default settings and then set it up again to see if the same issue is repeated.

If it is, then AirPort Utility 6.3.4 introduced in Yosemite begins to be the suspect.

If you have another Mac running AirPort Utility 6.3.2, I would try the setup again one more time using that Mac.

Oct 27, 2014 8:32 PM in response to ZedVal

http://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/0/MA930/en_US/Apple_AirPort_Networks_Early 2009.pdf

you can chick the covered for modem in this web site www.apple.com/airport enter the serial number of airport extreme and you chat online with support and you can connect with phone support . If the airport ok you will beabel to setup you're PC or programs or you you can see him in twes device and you can setup reper request but must chick covered .ander hidin .

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.