Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 3 Will Not Wake Up

After the newest update of version 7.0.1, my Apple TV doesn't wake up automatically when it goes to sleep. That is the light on the device is off. Before this, I was able to see my apple tv device on my iPhone 4 even after it has gone to sleep. Now, I can't see the device. The only way to reestablish connection to my Apple TV is to wake it up using the remote controller.

Is this part of the 7.0.1 firmware update?

safari for windows-OTHER, Windows 7

Posted on Oct 26, 2014 8:34 PM

18 replies

Nov 25, 2014 1:54 AM in response to duceduc

Yet another IOS update that's CRAP, I have just updated to 8.1.1 on my iPhone 5s and guess what, I have the same issue.

I could use the REMOTE app on my phone to wake my Apple TV 3, but now even after rebooting everything, re-installing the REMOTE app it still fails to wake the Apple TV.

It was fine until the IOS update. I dont want to have to set my Apple TV to never sleep I want it back how it was . . .

Nov 28, 2014 6:21 PM in response to duceduc

Hi all, I was having the same problem. I decided to go ahead and restore the Apple TV. Settings > General > Rest > Restore.

This took care of the problem. The Apple TV re-downloaded all the software and restored itself.

Everything is working fine now.

It is running 7.0.2 and wakes from sleep once again without trouble.

Dec 21, 2014 8:33 AM in response to duceduc

Same problem here, which was briefly solved by doing a restore.

It's actually very frustrating because the remote controller does not work either (changed batteries) and we're heavily invested in the Apple ecosystem both for work and play.

Network config: Ubee Cable modem, Apple Time Capsule (1st gen), MacBooks, iPads and iPhones. It does not work until plugged in again.

Jan 30, 2015 5:13 AM in response to audion-x

I was hoping the latest update (7.0.3) would have fixed this, but unfortunately not. The sleep-proxy is simply broken or has disappeared.

I get so frustrated by Apple that every time you do an upgrade certain features are silently removed or broken.

Isn't there anyone from Apple looking at these discussions? There are hundreds of posts complaining about this on various forums.

And the worst: You can't go back to an earlier version which worked.

Please Apple, so something about this.

Feb 10, 2015 10:33 AM in response to duceduc

I was having the same "no wakey uppy" problem. Worked great before updating s/w to 7.0.2. Afterwards ATV 3 became comatose to Air Play requests

After numerous restores to 7.0.2, both via iTunes and direct from ATV 3 menu, with no change I finally broke down and took the dang thing into the Apple Store. There a Genius restored the ATV 3 to 7.0.3 (6917) via iTunes and now the issue is resolved. The ATV 3 wakes up consistently via any Air Play request from any iDevice. Works every time with the ATV 3 connected to the router via Ethernet (wired) or via WiFi (wireless).

So the problem apparently can be fixed (I was really beginning to wonder).

Side note: A flaky Netgear router exacerbated the trouble shooting process. I'm thinking the router may have been corrupting my restore attempts.

Feb 13, 2015 12:07 PM in response to eyesky2013

I tried 3 Apple TV 3s connected via ethernet and non wake up using the Apple Remote app (or Roomie). I did a full restore via iTunes and exchanged them, nothing works. Wifi connected does not have the problem. Also, I have read on the Roomie forum where someone did a restore and it worked for a couple of days then went south. In my case the restore did nothing.,

Feb 23, 2015 11:58 PM in response to duceduc

Any hope for this to be fixed? After updating the family's pads and phones nothing can stream to the AppleTV without restarting the AppleTV. The startup time of the AppleTV is considerable which makes the power cycle of it even more of an inconvenience.

This is a major issue, the whole point of adding the AppleTV was to be able to stream easily and initiate playing of music directly from any i-device in the home. If functions like this stops to work in the home network the money invested become a waste.

This did work before, I'd have no problem if it wasn't such a heavily marketed feature, but I bought this product to use AirPlay and it simply doesn't work.

Can I get my money back for the AppleTV if I return it?

Apple TV 3 Will Not Wake Up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.