Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

EPSON workforce 845 will no longer connect to my macbook

So I recently updated my computer from mavericks to yosemite. Prior to this my wireless printer worked fine. After it was not printing so I removed the printer and went to instal it and it will not find it. The drivers are up to date and on the same network my iMac running yosemite and all my windows machines are able to see printer and use it. Any idea?

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 26, 2014 8:58 PM

13 replies

Oct 29, 2014 2:50 PM in response to carebelo

Hey carebelo,

Thanks for the question. I understand that you are experiencing issues with your printer after updating to OS X Yosemite. To troubleshoot this issue check out the following:

Troubleshooting printer issues in OS X

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts3147

Follow these steps until the issue is addressed:

1. Make sure that the printer is powered on, has ink / toner, and that there are no alerts on the printer’s control panel. Note: If you cannot clear an alert on the printer's control panel, stop here and check the printer's documentation or contact the manufacturer for support.

2. Ensure the printer is properly connected to a USB port on the Mac or AirPort base station / Time Capsule. If the printer is a network-capable printer, make sure that it is properly connected to your home network.

3. Use Software Update to find and install the latest available updates. If an update is installed, see if the issue persists.

4. Open the Print & Scan pane or Print & Fax (Snow Leopard) pane in System Preferences.

5. Delete the affected printer, then add the printer again.

If the issue persists, try these additional steps:

1. Reset the printing system, then add the printer again.

2. If the issue still persists, reset the printing system again. Download and install your printer's drivers. Then, add the printer again.

3. Contact the printer vendor or visit their website for further assistance.

Thanks,

Matt M.

Nov 17, 2014 7:03 PM in response to carebelo

I have the same issue after updating to Yosemite on MacBook Pro. Epson 845 was working fine with wireless printing before Yosemite. After Yosemite update, Epson 845 showed as Not Connected. I removed the printer and added it to no avail. I reset the printer settings and the printer did not show up. Had to reinstall Epson 845 by connecting to USB. Printer showed up and worked if connected via USB. Pulled USB and printer showed as Not Connected. No updates showing on App Store.

Installed remote printing drivers and no change.

My iMac after Yosemite update works fine with wireless printing.

Any suggestions?

Nov 17, 2014 7:49 PM in response to rccushing

Solved it! (thanks to Stack Overflow).

The problem is actually related to an upgrade for my Airport Express. The problem is that the 2.8GHZ and 5GHZ networks have the same name, and that was really confusing the printer. Go into the Airport app, go to wireless settings, then click the Advanced button. Give the 5GHz network a different name. The Epson will connect to the 2.8GHz network and all is good.

Nov 19, 2014 8:08 PM in response to carebelo

I had figured out the issue and have forgotten to post in here. After hours with removing in to Apple support and no success I realized it was a network issue. Comcast never disable the WiFi in gateway, so my new router and the gateway both had the same WiFi settings and my printer was connected to one and my laptop to the other, noticed the different IP address and realized the issue. This all happened to be just around the time I upgraded to Yosemite, but ended up not being an issue with the new OS.

Nov 20, 2014 4:52 AM in response to rccushing

It seems my macbook pro wireless network was on the "guest" network on the Apple Airport router. Not sure how it got to that network. I have a 5 GHz setting and the 2.4 GHz network and the "guest" network. I changed the macbook pro to the 5 GHz network, and when I went to add a printer, the Epson Workforce 845 printer showed up as being available through Bonjour. I added the printer, tested it on a Word document, and it worked.

My suggestion would be to check the wireless network on the computer and make sure it is the same network the printer is using.

The issue is resolved.

Nov 28, 2014 8:14 AM in response to carebelo

Another update. I was hoping that the 10.10.1 update would fix this issue, but unfortunately the problem remains. Yosemite is often unable to connect to my Epson 845 wireless printer. Usually turning the printer on and off fixes the problem temporarily, but is short lived. I did not have this problem before upgrading to Yosemite. Also the printer continues to work fine on my Windows 7 Bootcamp install. Also, my iPad and iPhone can print to it normally as well. This definitely appears to be a Yosemite problem.

Jan 3, 2015 6:22 PM in response to carebelo

I also got a Workforce 845 connected to the network so I can share with other computers. It does not matter if it is Lion, Mountain Lion, Maverics, Yosemite ... the problem is with Bonjour. Either the printer has a flaky implementation of bonjour, or bonjour is inherently unreliable. I used to get desperate when connecting with the printer stopped working, or does not recognize the scanner, or any combination of them. It is very strange, because it can always find the epson fax, which I don't care about at all, but sometimes would find and most times will not find the printer. By the way, this is incredibly stupid because I have my printer with a fixed ip address, and everytime it tells me I cannot find a printer or the scanner, I could ping the printer to death, but still the stupid system would not recognize it.

Eventually I gave up and did not use the printer/scanner for a while, which is a shame because when it works, it works flawlessly. I really like this printer! Someone told me a trick that is very useful, and since then I had not have any more headaches with it, works every single time, and is flawless (so far).

a) When setting up your printer, give it a fixed address, or program your dhcp server to assign an address to the printer. For sake of simplicity I added that adress to my mac on /etc/hosts with a cryptic name: epson.

b) When you click the + sign to add the printer, if by a miracle the workforce appear there, you might use it, but if doesn't, click on the ip tab, and either enter the address of the printer or the name (in my case was epson) . Use the old, never fail LPD protocol. For me it automagically shown in the Use: section the proper software. After this was done, I never ever ever had another problem trying to find the printer.

c) Of course, the scanner is not installed in that case - wish it was, because I like the scanner interface when it works. In any case, after that I went to the epson website, and downloaded on "Utilities" the epson scanner software. Installing it takes three mouse clicks, very simple. I don't know why but is sort of ugly, but it works. The thing you need to be awere is that in Applications > Epson Software if you just click "Epson Scan.app" the stupid thing will tell you cannot find the scanner. But if you look, it will have the "Epson Scan Settings.app" right next to it. You need to run it only once and select "network" and then use the scanner address or the name (again in my case was epson) ... you can test it to make sure it is ok (big "Test" button). After that you can use as many times as you want the scanner, the interface is kind of ugly but does the job flawlessly every time. There is never an issue of finding the printer, because it is there at the right address.

I wish one day the brilliant minds of epson software will figure out what is wrong with the bonjour stuff. Meanwhile, this workaround save me a lot of grief and always works for me

EPSON workforce 845 will no longer connect to my macbook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.