Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Home Sync not working on Yosemite Clients

I have upgraded 3 Mac Pro's to Yosemite and now Homesync has stopped working on these machines.

The server is running Mountain Lion, all other Macs that are still running Mavericks are still able to Homesync as normal

On the Yosemite machines the status stays on Connecting to network home

Posted on Oct 27, 2014 6:16 AM

21 replies

Oct 29, 2014 8:54 PM in response to Derekcat

My Yosemite clients fail to sync completely on the first login. Syncing completes on the first logout and works every time after that. Server is running OS X 10.9.5 with Server 3.2.2. Mavericks clients work normally. I don't get any errors during the first, failed sync. The only sign something is wrong is that the file sync window completes almost instantly and then they get to a desktop with only some files and preferences set. When logging out, you can see all the files finally come down from the server.

Oct 30, 2014 2:29 AM in response to Derekcat

I deleted my filesync folders (including the hidden one) and restarted a few times, and now it 'sometimes syncs on logout, but not on log in.. I think the log in is related to the problem with Keychains, as I'm getting a message to enter the keychain password for home sync on every log in, even if I reset the keychain it will work once then stop after a reboot

Oct 30, 2014 2:29 PM in response to Kevin Neal

My sync is working again once I rebound. I had to wipe out the existing BIND and then readd it withOUT SSL.

I've been having issues with keychain prompting to unlock for the HomeSync password on login since 10.9.4. Wiping out the keychains will, as you said, work after the first reboot and then come back on subsequent reboots.

Our OD server is still 10.6.x, the server serving HomeSync directories is on 10.8.5.

Oct 30, 2014 3:30 PM in response to Kevin Neal

I have the same issue. It started when upgrading our server to 10.9.4 as a prompt for the "login" keychain password.. After upgrading clients and server to Yosemite, home sync fails on login and I still get asked for the "login" keychain password.

This problem has deemed network accounts unusable. I have been testing a way to replicate home sync using chronosync. Only problem is I have not been able to launch the preference sync at logout. I am sure there is a way of doing this using the insecure login/logout hook scripts, but until now all my tests have failed.

Hoping Apple fixes this, it took a couple years to master the network accounts, and when finally had a working setup, this happens

Nov 6, 2014 7:50 PM in response to awaldraff

Yup, issue started with 10.9.4 and had gotten worse on 10.10. Same as everyone else. No sync at login but syncs fine at idle and logout. Also getting the Keychain login request at every login.

I think it is a client issue and not a server issue though. People have tried upgrading the server to 10.10 and Server 4.0 and the issue is still there.

I have tried 10.10.1 beta client and the issue is still there.

Apple seriously needs to fix this

Aug 12, 2015 1:55 PM in response to jason75

jason75 -- Have you come up with any workarounds or fixes for this issue since your last post on 10/30/2014? We just upgraded our server and clients from 10.9 to 10.10 and now we're running into the same issue: home sync fails on the first login on a given system, but seems okay thereafter. (Of course, who knows how much is getting "broken" in ~/Library during that failed first sync...)

-- Steve

Sep 16, 2015 3:54 AM in response to jason75

Same problem here (Yosemite Server, Mavericks Client work, Preference sync on login & logout).

First login no sync with Yosemite Clients. After that, sync works on login und logout.

New Users ok, as they sync most of the User Template and have no own data.

Existing Users use default user settings which overwrite their real ones on first logout.

Anybody has a solution? Sorely needed and would be great!

Feb 2, 2016 9:42 AM in response to MountErebus

All,

In addition to Login Sync being broken:

The bigger nuisance for us is the keychain being locked for mobile accounts at login from a cold start.

(keychains of local accounts at login are unlocked, and keychains of mobile accounts from a warm start also unlocked at login).

Has anyone come up with a workaround? We've looked at Keychain Minder and ADPassMon but no joy (we are using OD).

Is there a way at boot up to make a mac think someone has already logged in and then out before the login window shows?

Thanks for any ideas.

Home Sync not working on Yosemite Clients

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.