Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I transfer my photos from my mac/iphoto library to my iPhone6?

I am a long-time Mac user and have thousands of photos in iPhoto on my mac. Most of these were NOT taken with my phone but rather with a digital camera and uploaded to the computer. I just got the iphone6 and cannot figure out how to either: (a) transfer photos from the computer to my phone; or (b) share them in such a way that I can access them from my phone. Nothing complicated here: I want to be able to look at my phone and see the pictures. Thanks!

iPhone 6, iOS 8.1

Posted on Oct 27, 2014 5:42 AM

26 replies

Oct 27, 2014 6:16 AM in response to jgb1970

Which MacOS X version do you have on your Mac?

Sharing your photos from your Mac to your mobile devices with be easier earlier next year, when the Photos.app will be released. Then you will be able to share your photo library in iCloud using iCloud Photo Library, see iCloud Photo Library beta FAQ. Right now it is a bit awkward, because Yosemite is still incomplete without the Photos.app.

• If you do not enable iCloud Photo Library beta on your Mobile devices, you can sync your iPhoto Library like before to your devices using iTunes Photo sync, see iTunes: Syncing photos http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4236,but with iCloud Photo Library enabled, iTunes Photo sync will be not available.
  • If you want to use iCloud Photo Library Beta on your devices, you can only mail your photos or use the (Shared) Photo Streams to upload selected photos to your devices.

Jan 6, 2015 7:32 AM in response to jgb1970

All you need to do is open the photos app in iCloud then I do one of 2 things, both are quite easy so there is no need to wait on upcomming apps.

1. Open a window with your photos, then simply select the photos you want to transfer and drag them to the Photo Library window. They will automatically start uploading. You are not limited to just one folder at a time; I did a Finder search for all JPEG images on my hard drive and then just started selecting and dragging. They should start uploading automatically and you can continue to add more while the others are uploading.

2. You can also select "upload" from the icloud photo library window and make your selections from there.

I found using Finder was easier when I was uploading from a lot folders, but if you know exactly where the photos are you want to upload, using the "upload" function cuts out a step.

Three problems I've had are (1) Uploading seems to take a lot longer than it should. (2) There seems to be a bug in the cloud app as new photos are not showing up when you try to view them from the website; however, they are downloading and syncing to my iPad and my iPhone just fine. (3) When I tried to do several hundred at a time, I experienced network error, so I started doing them in smaller chunks (50-150)

Jan 23, 2015 1:35 AM in response to jgb1970

You can use iTunes to sycn Mac photos to iPhone:

• Plug your iPhone into your Mac using a cable a run iTunes.
  • In Mac, create a folder with the photos you want to transfer.
  • In iTunes, press your device name and switch to the Photos tab in the right panel.
  • Choose the folder you just created.
  • Click the Apply button to start syncing photos from your Mac to your iPhone.

And if you want to transfer photos from iPhone to mac, you can use airdrop on both devices.

Jan 23, 2015 9:06 AM in response to OctavioCooney

You can use iTunes to sycn Mac photos to iPhone:

• Plug your iPhone into your Mac using a cable a run iTunes.
  • In Mac, create a folder with the photos you want to transfer.
  • In iTunes, press your device name and switch to the Photos tab in the right panel.
  • Choose the folder you just created.
  • Click the Apply button to start syncing photos from your Mac to your iPhone.

iTunes Photo Sync will unfortunate be disabled, if you have enabled iCloud Photo Library (Beta) on the iPhone. Then the easy ways to upload from the Mac to the iPhone are disabled - My Photo Stream does no longer upload to the iPhone, and iTunes Photo Sync will be turned off.

You are aware, that the link you posted redirects to some advertisement?

Mar 17, 2015 8:05 PM in response to dgrassi

dgrassi, I totally agree! I am an amateur photographer and have thousands of photos neatly organized in iPhoto. I loved the simplicity of plugging my phone into the desktop and unloading the masses of photos off of it (many of which later needed to be culled). Why is Apple essentially forcing us to use iCloud sync to transfer photos from our phone across all our devices? Will we now have to organize our photos in iPhoto AND iCloud? Do we really want our *private* pics on the iPhone to magically appear on all the iPads, Macs and Apple TV in our household? If we can't dump our photos from the phone directly to our Mac before synchronizing with iTunes....won't the photos on the iPhone be erased? What is Apple thinking? This iCloud sync simply does not seem to be well thought-out, especially for the more serious photographer with years of organized photos in their collections. No iPhone app is going to have the ease of organization that the desktop version of iPhoto does. 😟

Apr 13, 2015 4:40 PM in response to jgb1970

I believe that Apple really thinks that they know the best way to do things and it is our job to just do it that way no matter how stupid or arcane it is.

I put the following in iPhoto Feedback already.

Why was Drag and Drop not there already. This is not rocket science. You connect two devices and find the file or photo and drag and drop it to the other device. Not some clunky, have to spend an hour on the internet, process that needs either iPhoto or iTunes (who knows which). I don't want to spend another hour learning how to use iCloud, I just want drag and drop between connected devices. I read that iPhoto is getting a new name Photos (you will probably call that a feature).

WHY DOES IT HAVE TO BE SO HARD.

Computers have had Drag and Drop since my first Amiga.

Come on guys....this is how to do it. Imagine that you are an end user and you bought a Mac because it was going to be easier, then with your brilliant programing skills make it happen.

I know, for some reason, it is really important that you know what I am using. so...

Mac Book Pro. OS X Yosemite latest version. and iPad mini latest IOS.

I still, believe it or not, like my Mac better than any PC I ever had. I did, however, did just buy a Chromebox for $150 rather than a MacMini for $500.

How do I transfer my photos from my mac/iphoto library to my iPhone6?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.