Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updating from 10.6.8

Hi,

My Macbook air is ready for an upgrade from my OSX 10.6.8 and I seem to eligible for it, nevertheless I'm getting the message that a next version (mavericks or yosemite) can not be installed

I've read and reread all the requirements and am positive all the boxes are ticked

All the details are below, anyone have any suggestions on what I'm missing?

System Version: Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549)

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 1,8 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 4 MB

Memory: 2 GB

Bus Speed: 800 MHz

Thanks for a reply!

Johannes

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 27, 2014 6:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2014 6:37 AM

The MacBook Air 1.8 GHz Core 2 Duo looks like a MacBook Air1,1 which will not run Mac OS X above 10.7.5. To go higher you need the MacBook Air2,1.

Go to the apple left side of the menu bar, About This Mac, More Info, System Report, Hardware and what does it show for Model Identifier:?

4 replies

Oct 27, 2014 6:45 AM in response to Ralph Landry1

You're right, it's macbook air 1.1. No more updates for me then?

It's really heating up with only light usage. After using it on remote islands for a long time, i figured it was just the warm climate. Being back in regular airconditioning I've noticed it hasn't, so now I was hoping a software update might fix it.

Thanks for the quick reply Ralph!

Oct 27, 2014 7:59 AM in response to Johannes Tree

You are welcome.

The only update available is Lion,http://store.apple.com/us/product/D6106Z/A/os-x-lion in the US on-line store. The question is, do you need the functionality it offers or are you happy with Snow Leopard? All Lion will offer is native access to iCloud. Snow Leopard is a rock-solid operating system so it is a matter of do you really want iCloud.

Oct 28, 2014 8:06 AM in response to Johannes Tree

You can share Mail, Calendars, and Contacts running Snow Leopard. Based on my experience, I don’t recommend syncing Contacts - created a lot of problems with duplicates. If you have 2 step verification enabled on your Apple ID, you will need to generate an application specific password for Mail, iCal, and Address Book. Apple ID - Manage

Updating from 10.6.8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.