Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

KVM Mouse Buttons Fail after Yosemite Upgrade

I have several computers attached to an Avocent 8030 IP KVM. Prior to upgrading to Yosemite from Mavericks, the KVM worked flawlessly. After upgrading to Yosemite, I have location control, but no mouse button click control through the KVM. I have been able to reproduce on three systems. The first was a current model Mac Pro, the second was a mid-2010 Macbook Pro. Both worked previously but now do not. I have an existing last-gen i7 Mini that hasn't been upgraded and still works when plugged in with the same dongle and port.

Has anyone else seen this behavior with a KVM? My assumption is that the OS is handling third-party mice differently in this version. I'm hoping there is a setting I can change on the Mac side to restore the previous behavior.

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 27, 2014 8:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 28, 2014 5:14 AM

A few days ago I did a clean install of Yosemite on my MacBook Air 13" (2012).

Since this upgrade I get regularly the spining beachball of death (total freeze) while I have my ATEN CS682 KVM attached to one of the USB ports.

If it is not attached, then I don't have any problems.

Also before upgrading everything worked fine with KVM attached.

As it seems now I will have to downgrade. Or does anybody know how to fix this?

18 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 28, 2014 5:14 AM in response to jason.rohm

A few days ago I did a clean install of Yosemite on my MacBook Air 13" (2012).

Since this upgrade I get regularly the spining beachball of death (total freeze) while I have my ATEN CS682 KVM attached to one of the USB ports.

If it is not attached, then I don't have any problems.

Also before upgrading everything worked fine with KVM attached.

As it seems now I will have to downgrade. Or does anybody know how to fix this?

Nov 8, 2014 6:43 PM in response to jason.rohm

I have a similar problem; Belkin SOHO 4-port KVM. My microsoft trackball works fine when plugged directly into my (new!) MacBook Pro Retina USB port, but only works briefly when plugged in through the KVM. I tried rebooting with it present, absent, every combination I could think of and the most I got was a couple of seconds of mouse movement before it ignored everything done with the trackball. The keyboard behind this KVM works fine; it's only the trackball which doesn't work - and I verified the trackball is still working with my other machines through this KVM. Oh, and it works fine with my older MacBook Pro, running Mavericks.

I'm almost at the point of going into the office to haul out my USB analyzer and see if I can figure what MacOS is doing wrong.

Dec 17, 2014 5:56 AM in response to jason.rohm

I am having the exact same problem with an Avocent AutoView 2020. The mouse buttons worked before the upgrade and they work on Windows, Linux and Mavericks OSX systems on the same KVM but not on the newly upgraded Yosemite Mac Pro. If I unplug the mouse from the KVM and plug it directly into the Mac Pro it works. The same mouse through the KVM and the buttons and scroll wheel do not but I do get a mouse cursor and can control its movement. Very strange.

I sure wish there was a fix for this.

Anyone out there listening? I am sure a lot of people are experiencing this problem.

Dec 29, 2014 8:44 AM in response to jason.rohm

I called Apple Support on this and they said it is a known issue with no fix or workaround at this time. The mouse click and scroll apparently do no work going through any KVM. They are working on a fix but it won't come out until 10.10.2 comes out.

So, if you are using a KVM it is best not upgrade to Yosemite just yet unless you are willing to hook up a separate mouse for each Mac you have going through the KVM.

Feb 19, 2015 4:12 AM in response to jason.rohm

It is unbelievably ridicules that this problem has continued unresolved for this long. I wish someone at Apple was paying attention and realizing that people are holding off upgrading because they access the host through a KVM. Not just home users but enterprise users has well. Not keeping systems up-to-date posses a significant security risk to those systems.

IT IS IRRESPONSIBLE ON THE PART OF APPLE THAT THIS ISSUE HAS NOT BEEN ADDRESSED. INEXCUSABLE!!!

IF MORE PEOPLE SPEAK UP MAYBE SOMETHING WILL BE DONE.

Dec 14, 2015 9:13 PM in response to jason.rohm

I'm also getting problems with mine since I updated to Yosemite - but worse. After wake from sleep, I need to switch the port used by the KVM.

Interesting enough, the port where the KVM was became useless (I almost thought on a hardware failure) for some time, and then suddenly it came back to life. Disconnecting and reconnecting the pendrive on the "halted" port does not makes any good. It's about time (5 minutes, I think).

It appears that the USB driver on Yosemite has a bug while dealing with USB HUBs, as The KVM Switch I use acts as a HUB.

KVM Mouse Buttons Fail after Yosemite Upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.