Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I Need Help On Fixing My IPod Classic 160 Gb

ive been very very frustrating lately on my iPod classic 160gb so the problem is when I connect my iPod to iTunes it just freezes iTunes freezes not my iPod so when I disconnect my ipod itunes unfreezes and also my iPod appears as a removable disk not as iPod please help

Posted on Oct 27, 2014 12:05 PM

11 replies

Oct 27, 2014 12:41 PM in response to GabrielaResendes1990

It's possible that there is a problem on your iPod's hard drive. iTunes freezes because it is trying access the iPod's iTunes data, but is unable to do so.

Hopefully, the problem is data corruption, and not a hardware fault. Either way, you probably need to try doing a Restore on the iPod, which will erase its current content. These are the instructions for doing a Restore.

Restoring iPod to factory settings

However, that's probably not possible because iTunes freezes when you connect the iPod. Therefore, first try putting the iPod into Disk Mode.

Putting iPod into Disk Mode

If it goes into Disk Mode, connect it to the computer and run iTunes. If iTunes does not freeze, or it prompts you to do a Restore, do a Restore on the iPod. If the Restore completes successfully, the iPod's hard drive is probably OK, and you'll be able to set it up for syncing.

Oct 27, 2014 12:46 PM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

Mmmmmm Ok ? But disk mode does not help for anything it's the same when I hold the middle button and the Upper button I turn it off and Later I put into Disk mode doesn't help at all it's the same Ohh and Another question I took it on a Apple Fixer Guy and Well He Did Restore It Just fine and I was happy so later I added like 50 sounds and iPod seemed to be full only with 13.0 Mb free so please help

Oct 27, 2014 1:24 PM in response to GabrielaResendes1990

I'm not sure if you are saying you could not get it into Disk Mode, or that you DID get it into Disk Mode, but that did not help you do a Restore using iTunes.

In any case, someone else did the Restore for you. When you connect it to your computer and select the iPod in iTunes, on the iPod's screen, what does it say for Capacity? What does the "capacity bar" at the bottom of the iTunes window show?

Oct 27, 2014 1:29 PM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

I Mean yea some guy did the restore for me Because my computer which is windows 8 could not do the restore so that same day when the guy did the restore every thing was so normal so I took my iPod and I connected it to my windows 8 added a few songs like 50 songs and the iPod appeared to be full only 13.0 Mb of free space so I connected it again and now iTunes freezes when I plug in my iPod so when I disconnect my iPod itunes unfrezes

Oct 27, 2014 1:41 PM in response to GabrielaResendes1990

OK, so that Restore was done BEFORE this current problem. I got it... It worked immediately after that Restore, but soon developed this current problem.

You should try doing another Restore, if possible. If doing a Restore does not resolve the problem (or you can't do a Restore or it doesn't go into Disk Mode), the most likely cause is a hardware problem on the iPod, probably related to the iPod's hard drive becoming faulty.

If you have an Apple Store nearby, you may want to make a reservation at the store's Genius Bar, and take it there to have an Apple tech look at it hands on.

Oct 27, 2014 2:55 PM in response to GabrielaResendes1990

If you use Windows XP, take a look at this document to see if this may be relevant to your problem.

Windows confuses iPod with network drive or hard drive and may keep iPod from mounting or songs may seem to disappear

I don't think it applies to more recent versions of Windows. In case it helps, what version of Windows do you use, or do you use a Mac?

Oct 27, 2014 3:23 PM in response to GabrielaResendes1990

And what version of Windows do you use?

As a test, if you have not already, shut down (power off) your computer and disconnect all USB devices (including any hubs). You can leave standard keyboard/mouse connected, if used. Start up computer, run iTunes, and connect iPod (by itself) to a direct USB port on the computer. This checks for possible interference between connected USB devices "confusing" the OS, and that iPod is getting enough power from the port.

Also, do you happen to have access to a different computer that has iTunes installed? If you do, I would try connecting your iPod to that computer to see if there is any difference. This checks for a software problem on your computer.

If you have happen to have another USB docking cable, you should try it, to rule out a faulty cable as the cause of this problem.

And I did not ask earlier, but when you turn ON the iPod while it is disconnected, does it start up, show to its "Home" menu screen, and operate normally as an iPod?

Oct 27, 2014 3:31 PM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

I Have tried using another windows 8 pic which has iTunes also no difference it does the same thing iTunes freezes so basically yea when I disconnect my iPod from my windows 8 it does work normally no problem with the battery it plays just fine as I was stating is that when i connect it to my pc it won't connect to iTunes i have tried manu sub cords different usb ports ttied updating iTunes uninstall iTunes and reinstalling iTunes its the same please help me I would do anything if you could help this iPod was basically working fine the first time I bought it so when I got it it was so normal I added like 100 songs in it but the iPod said do not disconnect because I was adding songs and so I disconnected it when it said do not disconnect so as of now it said the same thing I can see both arrows when it says do not disconnect but when I disconnect it it goes normal

Oct 27, 2014 4:38 PM in response to GabrielaResendes1990

It's taking me about three times as long to understand your writing, because there are no periods to separate your sentences. So that's one thing you could do... 😁

What happens if iTunes is NOT running when you connect the iPod? Does iTunes launch automatically, and then freeze as it tries to access the iPod? Or does iTunes NOT launch at all? If iTunes does not launch, are you able to access the iPod's "disk" using Windows Explorer (like it's a USB external drive)?

I Need Help On Fixing My IPod Classic 160 Gb

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.