Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Making a clone of my hard drive

I want to upgrade my hard drive with a samsung 840 pro 256mg ssd. I don't want to buy a sata cable because I have a 4tb wd mybook back up. I don't know how to make a clone of my hard drive to my wd external back up. I have everything else back up to my wd and my internal hardive is not using to much storage. Any suggestions? I have os x yosemite 10.10 macbook pro unibody late 2008

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 27, 2014 11:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2014 11:25 AM

You need an empty partition on your backup drive. If you don't have one, then you can make one. It needs to be at least 5 GBs larger than the internal HDD you are going to clone.

Clone Yosemite, Mavericks, Lion/Mountain Lion using Restore Option of Disk Utility

Boot to the Recovery HD:

Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears. Alternatively, restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the OPTION key until the boot manager screen appears. Select the Recovery HD and click on the downward pointing arrow button.

1. Select Disk Utility from the main menu then press the Continue

button.

2. Select the destination volume from the left side list.

3. Click on the Restore tab in the DU main window.

4. Select the destination volume from the left side list and drag it

to the Destination entry field.

5. Select the source volume from the left side list and drag it to

the Source entry field.

6. Double-check you got it right, then click on the Restore button.

Destination means the external backup partition. Source means the internal startup drive.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 27, 2014 11:25 AM in response to Izzy003

You need an empty partition on your backup drive. If you don't have one, then you can make one. It needs to be at least 5 GBs larger than the internal HDD you are going to clone.

Clone Yosemite, Mavericks, Lion/Mountain Lion using Restore Option of Disk Utility

Boot to the Recovery HD:

Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears. Alternatively, restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the OPTION key until the boot manager screen appears. Select the Recovery HD and click on the downward pointing arrow button.

1. Select Disk Utility from the main menu then press the Continue

button.

2. Select the destination volume from the left side list.

3. Click on the Restore tab in the DU main window.

4. Select the destination volume from the left side list and drag it

to the Destination entry field.

5. Select the source volume from the left side list and drag it to

the Source entry field.

6. Double-check you got it right, then click on the Restore button.

Destination means the external backup partition. Source means the internal startup drive.

Making a clone of my hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.