Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Whats going on with the volume icon in Yosemite?

After upgrading to Yosemite the other evening I have been running through its changes compared to Mavericks, as far as it goes it is what it is and works well.

Although there was an annoying little icon that I could not put my finger on why it was different, when you adjust the volume the speaker icon appears on the screen to tell you at what level the volume is at. Has anyone noticed how badly cut the rounded box has been designed, it looks like apple have forgot to clip the corners or forgot to make them transparent. Is this just my iMac ( which is only 7 moths old ) or is the quality of future icons we can expect form apple? or is there a setting you can change?

User uploaded file

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 27, 2014 3:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 30, 2014 1:26 PM

I have since found out that if you change the reduce transparency setting in the accessibility menu on general settings these black corners appear, if you un tick the reduce transparency they disappear. Oversight by apple on the icon design?

9 replies

Oct 30, 2014 2:14 PM in response to lopez79

lopez79 wrote:

I have since found out that if you change the reduce transparency setting in the accessibility menu on general settings these black corners appear, if you un tick the reduce transparency they disappear. Oversight by apple on the icon design?

Known bug that Apple decided not to fix before releasing this OS.

27" i7 iMac (Mid 2011) refurb, OS X Yo (10.10), Mavs, ML & SL, G4 450 MP w/10.5 & 9.2.2

Feb 6, 2015 2:16 PM in response to lopez79

Hi

Not exactly the same problem, but this is the closest thread I've found...

I've got Yosemite 10.10.1 on a new macbook and the volume icon has these weird borders. At first I thought it was on purpose but the bottom edge is obviously sloppy.

I tried the transparency setting and the box rounded out with black corners like lopez79 originally posted, and unchecking the box put it back like this.

Any thoughts?

User uploaded file

Whats going on with the volume icon in Yosemite?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.