Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I cannot delete embedded album artwork in iTunes 12

I cannot delete embedded album artwork in iTunes 12. I download music from a service that sometimes has album artwork embedded, and I usually just delete it. Then I add the artwork from iTunes with the "get album artwork" command. But it only works if you can delete the embedded artwork first...and in iTunes 12, so far, I cannot. So I am stuck with the artwork that came with the files...and it's not always good. (Sometimes, it's even silly ads!)

In iTunes 11 and prior versions, I would highlight the songs in the album, right-click then choose "get info," choose the "details" tab, and put a checkmark next to the empty album art box for all songs. That would delete the embedded album artwork. You could also paste an image into the little box and it would apply to all the songs that had no artwork, to be sure they were all the same. Alternatively, I could also highlight the songs in the album, right-click then choose "get info," choose the "artwork" tab, and delete, cut or paste artwork right into the larger pane.

Without the ability to delete embedded artwork, I cannot maintain my library the way I'd like to. I even prefer the full album artwork to a "single" artwork, and so I even change the free iTunes downloads singles to the main album artwork.

Please help. Does anyone know how to delete album artwork in iTunes 12? I have a huge library and I want to continue to maintain it with the correct album artwork.

Windows 7, New iTunes 12

Posted on Oct 27, 2014 3:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2014 3:58 PM

Okay, learned this: highlight the song names in iTunes, then right-click the highlighted files; the context-sensitive menu will appear. Before you click to choose "get info," be sure you are holding down the <shift> key. The result? The earlier-version dialog box shows up!

Whew! That was not a feature I could live without!

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 27, 2014 3:58 PM in response to airspeed400

Okay, learned this: highlight the song names in iTunes, then right-click the highlighted files; the context-sensitive menu will appear. Before you click to choose "get info," be sure you are holding down the <shift> key. The result? The earlier-version dialog box shows up!

Whew! That was not a feature I could live without!

Nov 8, 2014 7:12 AM in response to airspeed400

The new iTunes 12 Get Info dialog lacks right-click context menus (at least for now) but it still accepts most standard keyboard shortcuts and drag & drop actions.

Delete Artwork

On the artwork tab of Get Into, tap the image in question, use Backspace or Ctrl+X. Delete doesn't work.

Or, tap the image at the top left of Get Info, this time use Backspace or Delete, it is Ctrl+X that doesn't work.

Add Artwork

Select artwork, press Ctrl+C to copy, tap the centre of the Artwork tab, press Ctrl+V to paste.

Or, select artwork, press Ctrl+C to copy, tap the small image area at the top left, press Ctrl+V to paste.

Or, you can drag & drop to, or sometimes from, the same locations.

You can also copy artwork from the Get Info dialog to Windows Explorer with the keyboard shortcuts.

If the source image is on a web page right-click and use Copy Image rather than copy. (With Chrome I get a one pixel wraparound so tend to go for a temporary local copy anyway - not sure whose bug this is, but it isn't new.)

If you have multiple images embedded drag the one you want to be the primary artwork to the leftmost position.

Replace/Remove All Artwork

The top left image box can be used to add or delete art from multiple tracks. In either case all existing artwork in all tracks is replaced/removed.

Old Style Get Info Dialog (as given above)

Select some items, right-click, hold down shift, then click Get Info from the context menu. (Use alt/option on a Mac)

tt2

I cannot delete embedded album artwork in iTunes 12

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.