Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Icons in Menu Bar disappearing

Since installing Yosemite 10.10 the icons in my menu bar disappear and reappear constantly. All that remains is the spotlight icon (the File, Edit, View, etc. tabs are unaffected). From what I have read, not many others are experiencing this, since I haven't been able to find a forum regarding this problem. Anyway, one thing that might be relevant is that when installing Yosemite, my MacBook Pro shut off. The battery was fully charged. When I turned it back on, the MBP restarted the installation process and now I'm here. Aside from problems with iTunes 12.0.1.26 not detecting my iPod Classic, which many others seem to be experiencing, this is the only issue I have with Yosemite. Should I just wait for an update? I've posted two screenshots of exactly what it looks like with and without the icons. I named my MBP gucci little piggy after a track on Ok Computer haha.

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012), Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Oct 27, 2014 5:48 PM

17 replies

Dec 2, 2014 12:12 AM in response to dot.com

Thanks for your suggestion dot.com. Unfortunately, this does not solve my problem. Tried several times in case of, but still no help 😟.

I'm desperate as I can't find any thread regarding this issue. Some have folder of dock icon disappearing but never see anybody with this problem, so far.

I have tried a lot already like repairing permissions, cleaning caches. The only part I admit haven't really went deep into is deleting some preferences, ... but I fear breaking stuff ...

Of course if you guys have any other suggestion I'll take it!

O.

Dec 2, 2014 4:19 PM in response to oho75

Sorry Oho - I meant to reply to OP - those comments have nothing to do with your question (think you might want to make your own post as mixing issues in these discussions gets confusing sometimes). Safari missing icons and menu bar missing icons are two entirely different questions.

In your case have you tried to drag back the default toolbar - In Safari go to menu "View -> Customize Toolbar" and then drag the default set (or however you want to customize). Does that make any difference?

Dec 2, 2014 4:20 PM in response to Jonah.Peters

Have you tried to kill the SystemUIServer process (OS X will start another one right away) after deleting the com.apple.systemuiserver.plist file and then reboot (this file will be recreated when you reboot). From a Terminal command line:

rm ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.systemuiserver.plist

killall SystemUIServer

reboot

Does this bring the icons back temporarily or some of them or none of them or ???

On my Mac, all the icons disappear and then reappear. Also what is the date/time/size of your com.apple.systemuiserver.plist (in ~/Library/Preferences folder) - do a "ls -l ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.systemuiserver.plist" (no quotes needed). If you have a plist editor app you might want to take a look at this file

Dec 3, 2014 10:16 AM in response to dot.com

hmmm I deleted the com.apple.systemuiserver.plist in preferences folder (as per macjack's advice), but I was unable to kill the SystemUIServer process in terminal, it says that no matching processes that belong to me were found.. also not permitted to reboot.. So I restarted manually and still have flashing icons. There is a new com.apple.systemuiserver.plist in the preferences folder now, but not in the ByHost folder. Should I have deleted the Unix Executable File as well? Because I did.

I glanced at the age before I deleted the property list, and it was as old as the MBP itself (2012).

Dec 3, 2014 4:38 PM in response to Jonah.Peters

By "Unix Executable File" do you mean the com.apple.systemuiserver.xxxxxx.lockfile (xxxxxx is a bunch of hex digits (0-9 or A-F)? I think that's fine.

But the fact that you don't have any SystemUIServer process at all is a real problem I think. It should always be running - one of the things that it is responsible for is managing the icons on the menu bar on the right side - which is exactly your problem, right?

Can you double check if it's running? If you do the following what do you get?

ps -axwwwww | grep -i uiserv

If it isn't running you can manually run it with

open /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemUIServer.app

Also does the problem happen on a newly created user? If you don't have another test user create one in the System Preferences "Users & Group" pane.

Dec 3, 2014 6:04 PM in response to dot.com

that's what I was referring to, yeah.

Yes, when I entered it in terminal this was the result:

Last login: Wed Dec 3 17:46:05 on console

Macintosh:~ Jonah$ ps -axwwwww | grep -i uiserv

2618 ?? 0:00.23 /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemUIServer.app/Contents/MacOS/SystemUIServer

2622 ttys000 0:00.00 grep -i uiserv

Macintosh:~ Jonah$

Looks like my font has changed haha. Anyway, when I manually run it, it forces the icons to appear briefly, but then they return to flashing at seemingly random intervals. At one point I was spamming the .app and occasionally two sets of icons would appear in the menu bar; one set on the right where they normally appear, and another set of identical icons including my user name, time, battery life, etc. appeared in the middle of the menu bar. That led me to believe the problem may be independent of the SystemUIServer.app

When I created another user the problem wasn't there! Nice! Unfortunately I'm still stuck with the notorious flashing.

Dec 3, 2014 6:25 PM in response to Jonah.Peters

The fact that the problem doesn't happen to the other user but does to you really makes it clear that some preference file is corrupted or possibly some other app/utility is interfering with the Menu Bar internals.

Did you also remove the com.apple.systemuiserver.xxxxxxx.plist file in ~/Library/Preferences/ByHost as well as the one in ~/Library/Preferences? The xxxxxxxx will be a bunch of hex digits that are either the MAC address or the UUID of the system (I think but not positive) and then kill and restart the SystemUIServer.app program? You might even want to do a safe boot to see if the problem goes away. And then reboot in normal mode.

Also read the post at Menu Bar Icons Missing - read it all as there are lots of comments about things that might cause problems with menu bar icons - perhaps one of those will give you an idea of what really is causing the problem.

Good luck...

Feb 23, 2015 6:33 AM in response to Jonah.Peters

Had this problem briefly today on circa 2010 macbook pro on Yosemite 10.10.1 - problem was only on OSX icons, not third party icons

Booted into recovery mode, then Disk Utility to repair disk permissions and for good measure disk repair as well, it found a couple of permission problems and on reboot all is fine, I have all my menu icons back. is at least an easy fix to try, good luck

May 16, 2015 6:12 PM in response to Jonah.Peters

Hi

I am new to this forum. I am experiencing the exact issue. I can't locate my com.apple.systemuiserver.xxxxxxx.plist in my library but it exists in my host library.

Each time I connect a USB to my 2009 macbook pro the menubar flashes and the USB port doesn't work. I am using aperture and it doesn't recognise the USB port. Finder also doesn't show its connected. I have used all 3 USB ports to no avail.

I have rebooted my macbook in safe mode ran disk utilities repair permissions and reset the pram. Nothing has worked 😟

Icons in Menu Bar disappearing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.