Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes crashes when "De-authorize all computers" is pressed iTunes 12

Current PC (Windows 7) never had iTunes installed. My other 5 authorized computers are dead.

Installed new iTunes 12, logged in to "De-authorize all computers" but as soon as I press the button the program freezes.

At the time of freezing the confirmation dialog appears behind the "This program has stopped responding..." error and I can't click on the confirming "yes de-authorize all computers" button.

[enter] closes the program.

I don't get why the iTunes interface is the only way to access my account. I should be able to log into a secure online account and make changes to the iTunes account but that isn't possible as far as I can tell.

Posted on Oct 27, 2014 7:26 PM

2 replies

Mar 1, 2015 6:26 PM in response to MaryKayMan

Since this is a users' forum - not an Apple Helpdesk - lack of response probably means that no-one has encountered the same problem or, if they have, cannot offer advice on how to resolve it.

You should be able to contact Apple Supportand request that they de-authorize the computers on your account. Also, there have been two updates to iTunes (12.1 and 12.1.1) since you first posted the issue, so its possible that the problem has been resolved in one of those.

Quite why there isn't an automated/secure web-based way to do this I have no idea - the whole authorization/de-authorization approach seems based on fears that iTunes/iPods would become a widespread method for illegal sharing of copyright material, something that might have been true in the early days of iTunes and the iTunes Store, but today must be a tiny risk compared to P2P networks and file sharing.

iTunes crashes when "De-authorize all computers" is pressed iTunes 12

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.