Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The volume on my Imac keeps going up to full volume of its own accord and staying there.

The volume on my iMac keeps going up to full volume of its own accord and staying there. If I turn it down manually, it does the same thing again seconds later. It’s a PowerPC iMac running 10.5.8 with no external peripherals or speakers. I’ve turned off the 'play feedback when volume is changed' in system preferences, so the sound alert has stopped, but the volume speaker overlay is still showing on screen with the volume set to full. This started randomly about a week ago, there have been no recent software updates (it's my secondary mac) so I've no idea what has caused it. I've tried an old keyboard and the fault still happens. I've re-installed 10.5.8 too. Out of ideas now.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Oct 28, 2014 1:47 AM

3 replies

Oct 28, 2014 6:25 AM in response to Klaus1

Hi Klaus 1, I've tried to reset the PRAM earlier on several occasions, but after following the instructions and holding down the correct keys I end up at the login screen with warning pips going off, its doesn't restart at all. Also the instructions do appear to be for a G5 and I'm using a PowerPC G4. I've just tried resetting the SMU as suggested too but the problem is still there. Appreciate the suggestions tho.

The volume on my Imac keeps going up to full volume of its own accord and staying there.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.