Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can't delete hidden photos

iOS 8.1 .. have some photos marked as hidden, but now I can't delete them. I can either hide or unhide, but the delete option is missing. How do I get them off my phone? I have tried browsing the phone's file system but don't see these photos anywhere.

iPhone 6, iOS 8.1

Posted on Oct 28, 2014 5:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 28, 2014 10:15 AM

Apple claims they were 'phantom' images. In an index or table, but not actually in the file system. Had to backup and restore to remove. Somewhat of a pain. Hope they get that fixed up.

17 replies

Jan 18, 2015 3:48 PM in response to Jack Rosenzweig

OK PEOPLE! I SPENT 3 HOURS WITH CUSTOMER SERVICE PLUS 2 HOURS OF PERSONAL FRUSTRATION WITH THIS PROBLEM, BUT THEN I FINALLY FIXED IT!

Go and download iFunBox for your computer, then open your phone up to see the files. Bam, they finally popped up (it was 4 GB of lost space for me) and I was able to delete it through this app! Hope this helps!

Jun 11, 2015 11:05 AM in response to Jack Rosenzweig

Hi Jack there was another thread that I can't find now - SG Yoho solved the problem with a work around - didn't cost anything, didn't have to download anything.

• With iOs 8 - he/she changed the date manually to a date in the past
  • then check your removed photos (open the folder even if it says 0)
  • Select all and delete

(it said 0 photo's in my deleted folder but when I opened the folder I had 3,075 photo's and a bunch of video's in that folder (again even though it said 0). I had to do this three times going back a few months at a time until I had it cleaned up.

Big thank you to SG Yoho!

Sep 5, 2015 8:11 PM in response to Jack Rosenzweig

This might be too late but I had the same problem...this is what worked for me:

-Settings

-General

-Date & Time

-Removed the "Set Automatically" and then you can manually enter a date.

Set the date for about 3 years ago. eg. Sept 5, 2012

-Then go to Photos

-Albums

-Recently Deleted- Now you will find lots of photos that never were really deleted and are still taking up space on your phone!

-Select

-"Delete All"

-Return to Settings- General- Date & Time and change back to "Set Automatically"

This should delete the photos and free up space.

I even went to the Genius Bar and they couldn't find the photos. I found this solution in a Support Community thread.

can't delete hidden photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.