Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Set-up Airport Extreme 6thG

How do I set-up my Airport Extreme 6th generation with AT&T U-verse ARRIS NVG589 router?

Would this be a difficult task? Any help appreciated! Thanks

Posted on Oct 28, 2014 11:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 28, 2014 11:49 AM

Your first decision will be to decide on which router will be performing as your "main" router. The easiest set up would be to leave that role to the Arris router and use your AirPort Extreme in bridge mode. However, which router you should decide on should be based on what your overall networking requirements are with both of them.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 28, 2014 11:49 AM in response to SFSunset

Your first decision will be to decide on which router will be performing as your "main" router. The easiest set up would be to leave that role to the Arris router and use your AirPort Extreme in bridge mode. However, which router you should decide on should be based on what your overall networking requirements are with both of them.

Oct 31, 2014 11:45 AM in response to SFSunset

Your ARRIS NVG589, which is actually a Motorola, is a fairly sophisticated wireless network gateway device. That is, it is both an Internet modem and wireless router in one box. You may find that you will not need to use your AirPort Extreme base station at all if you find that this device will provide for all of your networking goals.

I would recommend that you start with just the NVG589. If you find that you need to extend the range of its Wi-Fi network, you may be able to use the Extreme to do so. However, the Extreme can only do so if the connection between them is via Ethernet. This is what is known as a roaming network.

Let us know how you will want to proceed ...

Apr 25, 2015 8:56 AM in response to Tesserax

I just received the NVG589 from AT&T and am having difficulties connecting my Airport Extreme (I think 1st gen.) to it. I want to keep the wireless capabilities of the NVG589 for some household devices, but need the Airport for my 1gen AppleTV.

I have tried detailed set up instructions as defined here: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/17734 but to no avail. I'm fairly tech savvy and have tried a multitude of configurations, but no luck.

Any detailed set up instructions for both devices is desired.

Thanks!

Terry

Apr 25, 2015 9:06 AM in response to trhill

Please start another post for your question, as you have a different type of modem/router than the one in the original post.

Include the model number of the AirPort Extreme that you have.....it is on the bottom of the device, possibly embedded in the foam base and starts with an "A" followed by four numbers. You might have A1143 if you have a 1st Gen AirPort Extreme.

We will also need to know what operating system that you have installed on your Mac or PC, or whether you are trying to use an iPhone or iPad for the setup.

The DSLReports article is totally unnecessary for what you want to do......the setup will only take a few minutes. Return the NVG589 to its original normal configuration as you received it from ATT.

Set-up Airport Extreme 6thG

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.