Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yosemite Mail Sorting Function Missing

Last night I upgraded to Yosemite. Now when you use the sorting tabs, the system sorts alpha / numerically, but takes your original message out of view (the one you are sorting against), forcing you to scroll and search for your results. This was never the case, from OS9 to the last OS X before Yosemite. If you have 7 email accounts to manage with thousands of emails, it takes productivity and throws it out the window. Now forced to used the search function which is as slow if not slower due to typing, and then sorting again with the same results. Why bother putting sort buttons there at all if you just have to re-scroll manually. This is true when sorting by from, date, subject, whatever. If I only had 10 emails this would not be an issue.

If anyone knows if there is a setting, please speak up. I have verified the issue with phone support as well, or they are missing something too. There is another thread that looks to be closed so I am reposting.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10), Mail

Posted on Oct 28, 2014 1:51 PM

16 replies

Nov 30, 2014 3:29 PM in response to arrambide

arrambide wrote:

II'm not sure you understand the problrm because your answer is totally wrong

I completely understand the problem, but you don't seem to understand my workaround.

The item you had selected when you change the sort order does not change. So, moving the arrow up or down will select the previous or next message and bring the focus back to that point.

The only thing this workaround provides is not having to scroll the list of emails, which seems to be the general complaint.

Nov 30, 2014 3:47 PM in response to Barney-15E

OOh ok! I understand what you said!

the thing is that first of all, that's clearly a bug in OS or a failure that wasn't there before.

ON the other hand, I have 6 mailboxes so may imagine that I have more than 20,000 emails and you may imagine that Im reading a email from "edgar" and when I try to sort by his name, it will leave at "z" so. I have to go all the way down!!! and just because Apple decided to take off the "end and start" buttons is really something awful have to do this because like I said, was something that worked before

Nov 30, 2014 4:02 PM in response to arrambide

arrambide wrote:

email from "edgar" and when I try to sort by his name, it will leave at "z" so. I have to go all the way down!!!

No, you don't. Just tap the up or down arrow. The message before or after will be selected and show up without you having to scroll.

Note that you must have the email message from "edgar" selected when you change the sort.

What "end and start" buttons?

Nov 30, 2014 4:33 PM in response to arrambide

As far as I can tell, you are talking about page up and page down, Home and End.

Page up is fn-Up arrow; Page Down is fn-down Arrow.

fn-left is Home. fn-right is End

Cmd-up is Home. cmd-down is end.

cmd-left is beginning of line. cmd-right is end of line.

In the Mail message list, only fn-up and down seem to work.

cmd-opt-up/down works for Home, End.

Jul 13, 2015 11:18 AM in response to Barney-15E

Thank you for this information!! Can you share how you found/figured this out, so next time I'll know to look there?

Also, I used to go straight to a desired Mail folder ("Mailbox") by doing a search, choosing the Mailbox name, selecting a message from those listed within that Mailbox, then clicking on the Mailbox name in the message header (upper right corner). The left sidebar used to then jump directly to where that Mailbox is in my folder tree. Not any more! When I hover over that Mailbox name now, I just see the little white-gloved hand, and if I click on the Mailbox name it does nothing :-( I used to use this all the time since I have lots of Mailboxes - hoping you or someone else can help!

Yosemite Mail Sorting Function Missing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.