Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yosemite has no sort by name in Mail App

Yosemite has what I would say is a bug- it is certainly at least a dropped feature.

I'm sure that most people view mail sorted by date as do I. But sometimes I want to view all mail from a particular sender. All previous versions of mail allowed you to simply click on any mail in the inbox and then simply click the "sort by name" tab at the top to see all letters sorted by name, beginning with the selected email. Now in Yosemite, instead of beginning with the selected email, it instead starts at "A" or "Z" ignoring the selected email. I would suggest that this is helpful to exactly nobody. I'm hoping this is just a bug/oversight that will be quickly fixed. "Sort by name" is king of important to those of who are heavy users.

And yes, I understand that I can do a search. But this brings up every email that even mentions the sender and searching and then sorting is super cumbersome compared to the one click method that has seemingly been abandoned. Hoping there's a fix in sight!

Posted on Oct 28, 2014 2:24 PM

81 replies

Oct 28, 2014 5:17 PM in response to World3d

Yes i am having the same issue. Old mail would keep your highlighted selection in view after sorting as a starting point. I can't find anything now and have way too many emails to scroll. Same issue on saved emails. This is true with from, subject, whatever. "Search" function, same issue. search for something, then try to sort by subject, date or whatever, and the same result. This seems like a basic function and I have used it from the beginning. Otherwise, why even use these to sort?

Someone please help!!!

Oct 30, 2014 10:25 AM in response to World3d

Yes, I have the same problem too. In the past, I would highlight an email and then click the "From" header to get all the emails from a particular sender. In Mountain Lion (and earlier), the list would stay "anchored" at the highlighted email. The same problem happens when I click on the "Subject" header to sort things. Everything is sorted by Subject, but the highlighted email is buried somewhere and I have to search for it.

Every new Mac OS brings some weird issue to Mail. I hope this gets fixed soon ... there are workarounds, but it really messes up my workflow!

Oct 31, 2014 6:30 AM in response to ADub128

I had the same problem, and asked to this Support Community, Japanese version.

Someone suggested me the following solution. (supposing you are using classic layout)

1. sort the mails (then the highlighted selected one will go somewhere)

2. click the main part of the selected mail

3. press Command + upper (lower) cursor button of the keyboard

Then the previous (next) mail will appear in the sorted list.

Once if you do the above procedure, then the highlighted mail remains in the sorted list as before.

However, if you do sort by date again, then this feature is missed.

I thinks this is a bug.

Nov 1, 2014 9:37 AM in response to BPC

LexSchellings and BPC-

It's the way it's handled in Yosemite that's different.

Let's say you wanted to see all of your emails from 'JoeBlow'. You used to be able to click and highlight an email from him, then click the From tab or sort by Sender and it would immediately line up all of his emails.

Now, when you Sort it lines up your emails starting from A -or- Z. At the very bottom or top of your 10,000 emails. You THEN have to scroll to J to find JoeBlow's emails...

Nov 1, 2014 9:47 AM in response to LATrapp

Exactly. It no longer respects your selected name as the starting point. Starting at A or Z is useful if you have fewer than about 100 emails. Before suggesting to just click on "from" to sort by name, please make sure you understand this issue and have tried it yourself.

I'm assuming it must be a bug because, why not start with what you've selected- what would be the negative of doing so? This is how it has been for the history of the app until Yosemite and I see only harm and no benefit in the change.

Yosemite has no sort by name in Mail App

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.