Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

RAM upgrade failed!

Hey, guys!

I have a mid-2010 iMac that came with two modules of 2GB of RAM each (4GB overall), so I decided to upgrade these 4GB to 8GB, just to make OS X Yosemite and all apps run smoother (my iMac is four years old now). I purchased a 4GB module on Kingston website last week that meets all Apple specs for this model. The thing is, when I start my iMac with the new module from Kingston installed, I get a kernel panic and then a message in several languages saying that my iMac is going to reboot. And then it happens just the same over and over. I have read many theories about what might have happened. I have read that all modules have to be the same brand. I have also read that all modules have to be the same size... I no longer know what to think. I just hope you can help me, guys. Thanks in advance!!

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 28, 2014 2:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 28, 2014 4:11 PM

Mavericks and Yosemite are far more particular of the quality of memory modules that previous systems. Even though a modules meets the stated specifications doesn't mean it will always work. We have seen many of cases of this. Kernel panics are indicative of bad RAM.

The most reliable sources for memory modules for Macs is Crucial.com and Otherworldcomputing.com. Crucial has an app that you can run and it will determine what modules on it's website will work and take you to that page. Or you can just answer a number of questions on it's entry page and get there your self. Crucial and OWC have excellent reputations for quality products and customer service.

My suggestion is to take back the Kingston modules and order what you need from one of the two sources mentioned above.

User uploaded file

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 28, 2014 4:11 PM in response to Rifenbeiker

Mavericks and Yosemite are far more particular of the quality of memory modules that previous systems. Even though a modules meets the stated specifications doesn't mean it will always work. We have seen many of cases of this. Kernel panics are indicative of bad RAM.

The most reliable sources for memory modules for Macs is Crucial.com and Otherworldcomputing.com. Crucial has an app that you can run and it will determine what modules on it's website will work and take you to that page. Or you can just answer a number of questions on it's entry page and get there your self. Crucial and OWC have excellent reputations for quality products and customer service.

My suggestion is to take back the Kingston modules and order what you need from one of the two sources mentioned above.

User uploaded file

Oct 28, 2014 4:22 PM in response to Rifenbeiker

Without knowing exactly what you bought its hard to say, but I have to agree Mr Toad above. Sounds like either the RAM stick was bad, or not compatible with your other sticks of RAM in some form.

The easiest way to test this is to remove the other sticks of RAM and leave only the 4GB module you bought and try to boot with it alone. If it works then its likely an incompatibility between the old and new RAM modules.

If it issues the same errors, then its likely the 4GB module is bad.

You can also try different placements of the RAM sticks. Your iMac should have 4 slots you can try.

In any case, I would also recommend Crucial.com as a source of RAM. I bought a couple of sticks for my Mid 2007 iMac from them so I could update it to Yosemite, and Its working perfectly fine.

Oct 28, 2014 6:05 PM in response to Rifenbeiker

I am sorry to let you know this but all Mac's are very picky about the Ram they will take and use. I know it doesn't seem fair or right but in the past and the present but there seems to be only a couple manufactures of ram that work without any issues at all with Mac's and they are,

http://www.crucial.com

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/apple/memory/iMac

sorry that all different companies don't just plug in and play.

This should explain your issue. If you can take the ram back and get your money back and use one of the 2 I mentioned and I will guarantee they will work for you.

Cheers

Don

Oct 29, 2014 1:31 AM in response to Rifenbeiker

Thank you, guys. I should have asked you first. The thing is that I had already purchased Kingston memory before for a Windows-based PC and it worked fine, so I supposed there would be no problem this time either. But as you say, macs are really picky when it's down to memory! I will try to get the ones I have been recommended and then I will let you know if there're still some issues. Thank you!

RAM upgrade failed!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.