Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail virus scanner not running

I'm receiving "Mail virus scanner not running" and ***UNCHECKED*** (beginning of the subject) mails at least 10 times a day.

In Anti-Virus Database Update Log I see updates every hour, but I don't know how to change this behaviour.

In Anti-Virus Service Log I don't see any errors.

Regards,

Victor

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10), Server 4.0

Posted on Oct 28, 2014 4:51 PM

5 replies

Oct 28, 2014 5:30 PM in response to vicko.a

Congratulations. I'd still get rid of it. If you want antivirus software, then maybe a PC is the way to go. Then you can have all the viruses and bad software you want. I used to use ClamX, and at other times Sophos. They were good at screwing up and slowing down my macs, finding a lot of false positives and wasting my time, but never seemed to find any actual malware.

Mar 4, 2015 5:32 AM in response to arthur

Arthur,

With all due respect, your suggestion is irresponsible.

When you use a Mac Server (or any server, really) to handle your mail you will possibly deliver messages to a number a different platworms, including windows computers.

A simple AV (like ClamAV) built in in the server software will allow it to remove from mails some of the existing Viruses for Windows, which is better than doing nothing. Obviously you will not stop any new threat not yet recognised by you AV, but if everybody running a server would do what you suggest, even the old and well know viruses would find a way to proliferate…

Regards,

Andrea

Mail virus scanner not running

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.