Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro Running Hot After Yosemite

Ever since I upgraded to Yosemite, my MacBook Pro has been running extremely hot. The area above the keyboard is too hot to touch and the bottom is just as hot. I've even had to elevate the back of the machine just so it doesn't damage the desk or possibly overheat.

I've seen one post about resetting the SMC, but either I didn't do it right, or it didn't work for me.

Here are my particulars of my non-unibody MBP:

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2008)

2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

4 GB 667 MH2 DDR2 SDRAM

Yosemite 10.10

I saw one post that mentioned it might be related to Safari, so I avoided running that for most of the day. Maybe it ran cooler?? But, I had to use Safari eventually and it's now back to being blazing hot (even after I quit Safari). I've opened up the Activity Monitor, but I don't see anything out of the ordinary (I don't really know what to look for, however).

Any help would be great. Thanks!

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 28, 2014 4:24 PM

9 replies

Oct 28, 2014 5:34 PM in response to Crazygamer101

HI Crazygamer101,

I updated to 10.10 the day it came out, so I doubt it's still indexing. But, how would I be able to tell?

And, as for the Activity Monitor, like I mentioned, I did check that, but I don't know what to look for. Right now "kernel_task" is taking up the most memory (394.3MB) and the most CPU Time (1:38.09). Is that normal? If not, how would I fix it?

Thanks.

Oct 28, 2014 5:49 PM in response to HollywoodGuy

Hey Hollywood,

I don't know enough about the kernel task but from what you said that seems normal. Mine right now is 806MB with 38:33.77. I'll post a link to another discussion that might shed more light on your issue. Apparently some other extensions can be interfering with things and it seems like sometimes the culprit is the mail app.

Re: OS X Yosemite RAM Issues - kernel_task

Dec 14, 2014 8:51 AM in response to HollywoodGuy

I experienced similar situation with Mid 2011 MacBook Air. Post Yosemite MacBook was running hotter and fan running more. I had several Activity Monitor processes running higher CPU usage etc. FileVault encryption would not complete.

Bottom Line Fix: Purchased Time Capsule - Performed backup on Time Capsule per Time Machine App - Made appointment to Apple Genius Bar - Technician determined right off that Yosemite install was not completed correctly for whatever reason. He returned MacBook to original settings - re-installed Yosemite and I was out the door. At home I performed backup with Time Capsule and now everything runs great. Running about 20 degrees cooler per infrared thermometer and fan not needed. I'm well pleased with Genius support.

Hope this helps someone else.

MacBook Pro Running Hot After Yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.