Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2014 Mac Mini shows pink screen when waking

I have a 2014 3Ghz i7 mac mini which I have attempted to connect two different Asus monitors via two different HDMI cables in multiple configurations. Regardless of the connection combination when the mac awakes from sleep or from the screensaver (to show the login screen) the screen shows up as bright pink and I can barely make out the password box.

Turning off the monitor and turning it back on corrects the problem as does waiting about 10 seconds for the monitor to go out of sync and return. After this time the issue goes away until the computer sleeps or I enter the sleep saver again and have to re-login.

Is anyone else encountering this?

PRAM and SMC have been reset already.

Posted on Oct 28, 2014 8:29 PM

5 replies

Oct 28, 2014 9:34 PM in response to macpod

Hi macpod,

I've seen several other posts with issues about waking from sleep. They have different issues, but they result from the same thing, waking. I doubt there is anything you can do to fix it. Given this, I would contact AppleCare and/or bring the machine into an Apple Store or AASP.

Oct 28, 2014 10:00 PM in response to tjk

Thanks TJK

After posting this I did see another post like this (I didn't find it before because I always used pink as a search term). It would be a significant inconvenience for me to ship this back right now because I am actively using it for work. Swapping it at the store won't help because this is not a stock spec mac mini.

I think I'll wait a while (but within the warranty period) for Apple to work the kinks out of this product.. then figure out what to do.

Good thing I got an external HD to use for a time machine backup!

Jan 2, 2015 7:46 AM in response to macpod

I'm having the same issue. I returned the monitor I had Asus PA248 for a new one thinking that was the issue, still the same problem, I then spoke with Apple Care, did everything they said, then took it in to the genius bar where they ultimately gave me a new computer. The new computer is still doing the same thing, I tried testing it with a different Asus and found I no longer had the issue. I'm just wondering why Apple would put out a computer that isn't completely compatible with all displays. I don't want a different display, I just want Apple to fix this.

Mar 25, 2015 1:31 PM in response to macpod

I don’t know if this solves the pink screen problem, whatever it is. I’m not a techie so this is all I can offer.

I got my Mini end of December and the pink screen problem just started now. I had no pink screen until I went to change the Sleep / Wake settings. Then I started getting the pink screen with desktop barely showing through. So think when / if you changed your settings from the default. Maybe your problem started after that.

Returning settings to default doesn't fix it. I also tried to check / uncheck different sleep / wake settings, but didn't work either.

I have the latest Mac Mini 3 GHz

Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM Yosemite 10.10.2.

External ASUS PA248 monitor via HDMI.

I know everyone has different set-ups with slight variations in the problem, but maybe this will help some people. It seem to have worked to solve the pink from appearing, but I don’t think it has solved he actual problem. At least if I have to go to my computer every half hour, I don’t have to wear out my monitor button by having to turn it on all the time just to get rid of the pink screen.

I know people want their Mini to sleep but for these instructions your Mini will have to remain awake all the time.

This is my monitor set up.

Screen saver set to go on in 10 minutes.

Monitor shuts off in 15 minutes.

The Mini stays on all the time, no sleep or wake cycles.

1. Go to ENERGY SAVINGS

2. The only thing I have checked is, “Prevent the computer from sleeping automatically when the display is off. Leave the rest unchecked".

3. Then go to SCHEDULE Uncheck these,

START UP OR WAKE and SLEEP settings.

Hit OK

Exit ENERGY SAVINGS.

Let your monitor turn off, come back later. Sit down and re-try to to turn on your desktop. DON'T click away on your mouse or move it back and forth furiously like you want your desktop to load RIGHT NOW. Well I did that and the system didn't like that and the pink was back. It seems the system needs a few seconds to load up the desktop. Click the mouse button once, or move the mouse a a TINY bit. Wait a bit and the desktop should appear WITH NO PINK SCREEN, hopefully.

Hope this helps.

2014 Mac Mini shows pink screen when waking

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.