Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I split a table over two pages in Pages?

Hi

I'm trying to split a table in Pages so that the text in the two adjacent rows will fall on two separate pages but I cannot find a way to do this. This was something that is easy to do if using MS Word so I can't believe it would be a feature missing from Pages?

The document I'm working with is my resume and I had my jobs nicely formatted in a long table so it was easy to work with (job title, dates, achievements etc. in different cells). Since updating to Yosemite and Pages 5.5 I've noticed that I now have my career summary and 'Professional Experience' title on the first page but the table with all my job information is now starting on the second page - leaving just a lot of blank space on the first page. One of the jobs on the second page now also splits across pages 2 and 3. I can see that it is trying to keep everything in the table together and that what I need to do is just split the table at a certain point so that I can put the first part of the table back onto page 1 and the second part of it on page 2 - but it won't give me any option to do this.

Any ideas?

Posted on Oct 28, 2014 8:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 3, 2014 10:29 PM

I can't say I solved this one despite a lot of looking around the web and I can't believe Pages would't have something as basic as a 'Split table' function built into it. What I had to do was create some space above the table (with line returns) and then put a copy of my other table there (so it had the same format - or just insert a new table) and then delete the relevant rows from each table so I had the jobs I wanted on the first page and then the other jobs on the second page and this way they formatted on my CV the way I wanted it to.

Still unbelievable though that you can't just split a table!

28 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 3, 2014 10:29 PM in response to HavanaNights

I can't say I solved this one despite a lot of looking around the web and I can't believe Pages would't have something as basic as a 'Split table' function built into it. What I had to do was create some space above the table (with line returns) and then put a copy of my other table there (so it had the same format - or just insert a new table) and then delete the relevant rows from each table so I had the jobs I wanted on the first page and then the other jobs on the second page and this way they formatted on my CV the way I wanted it to.

Still unbelievable though that you can't just split a table!

Mar 22, 2017 9:31 AM in response to LESLIE AND PAUL

Thanks for your answer,

however, I realise this still doesn't work for rows with texts which would span longer than 1 page 😟 - text at the end of such rows simply disappear 😢

I remember I migrated to LibreOffice a few years ago after encountered this problem, now back to Pages again hoping it is fixed -- but after some searching, seems like it's still unresolved 😕

Totally frustrated, back to LibreOffice I am.

Mar 11, 2017 1:29 PM in response to HavanaNights

selecting or deselecting the "Prevent Widow & Orphan Lines"...had 0.0 effect on allowing the table to spread across multiple pages.

Here is what I found to be successful:

Select the Table

Select the Format button (upper right corner of the Pages screen)

Select Arrange Tab (within Format)

Within the Object Placement section, select the "Move with Text" tab.

Table now spreads across multiple pages.

Stupid default Apple. Had to rub my head and pat my belly to make it work properly...very Windows-like... it shouldnt be

Oct 29, 2014 4:26 AM in response to HavanaNights

Hi,

I had the same problem with my CV. You should be able to solve the problem by not having any empty lines between text and table. To not mess up your current layout try to enter some text (e.g., "text" or a simple dot) into each blank line and format it in white (so it does not show up on your final document).

Tables should split just fine afterwards.

Works?

Jan 19, 2015 9:15 AM in response to HavanaNights

HN,

Pages, and Numbers, have never split a Cell across a page boundary, but they will split a table by moving a row that doesn't fit completely on one page, to the next page.

In Pages, the Table must have the property "Move With Text", or it won't flow to the next page at all. From your description, your problem is not that the table doesn't flow, but that it won't split a cell.

The only way around this is to put less information in each cell, so the rows aren't so tall. Rows with less height won't leave so much blank space when they jump to the next page.

This is analogous to not splitting paragraphs across a page boundary. It's like Widow and Orphan control.

The other way around this is to not use a table to organize your document. There are plenty of text control tools in Pages to allow you to arrange your document without the use of a table object.

Jerry

Mar 13, 2015 8:50 AM in response to Jerrold Green1

Although this thread is several months old, I felt compelled to reply as I have just encountered this gaping hole in Pages functionality. Jerrold Green 1 is incorrect in asserting that the OP's problem is that Pages won't split a cell across pages. The OP clearly indicates that Pages is not moving rows that won't fit on the first page of the table, but rather it moves the whole table to the next page.

So for example, if I have a paragraph of text at the top of page 1, and then insert a table under this paragraph that contains more rows than will fit on the remainder of the page, rather than the rows that won't fit being moved to page 2, Pages moves the entire table to page 2 leaving a big blank space on page 1. But bizarrely if the table contains more rows than will fit on one whole page, then it will move the overflow rows onto the third page, making you wonder why it didn't just do this on page 1.

This is with the table arrangement set to Move with Text. If I set it to Stay on Page, the end of the table just flows over the footer and off the page into oblivion. If I set Text Wrap to None, it just plonks the table right on top of the other text. So it gives you the option to do something silly, but not the most sensible option.

If I am missing something, then can someone please correct me. Without this basic functionality Pages cannot be considered a professional Word Processor. I'll unfortunately have to go back to MS Word.

Mar 13, 2015 9:16 AM in response to Bryxxus

Ok, I found the answer to this in this thread: Pages 5.5 Tables Bug?

In short, click in the left margin, beside the table (or just select the whole document), and in the Format panel on the right select the "More" tab and uncheck the "Prevent widow & orphan lines" option. The table will then be arranged sensibly. For some reason Apple thought it better to make the incoherent behaviour the default.

How do I split a table over two pages in Pages?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.