Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari slow opening new tabs

Hi,

After a fresh install of yosemite I noticed that safari is really slow (about a 3-5 seconds lag) opening new tabs, not everytime but most of the time (around 50%). This behavior also occurs when I focus the url bar.

It happens using the mouse and also using the keyboard shorcuts (+T and +L respectively).

First thing I tried was disabling Safari Sharing on the iCloud settings but it didn't work. I also tried all of the usual suspects: deleting caches, cookies, reset safari, etc... As I said it happened from the first minute after a clean install of yosemite.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 29, 2014 2:56 AM

10 replies

Oct 18, 2017 10:00 AM in response to leanhkhoa

I had AdBlock Plus as the only extension in Safari. Disabling it solved the lagging issue with both opening tabs and clicking in the address bar (which drops down my list of favorites). Have to figure out how to keep AdBlock Plus in such a way so that it won't interfere with dropping down the favorites and opening new tabs. Maybe have to try another ad blocker.

I'm guessing that the ad blocker was checking the links in my favorites list. And since I have a few favorites in my address bar dropdown, somehow when you open a new tab, your fav list will be checked by the ad blocker. But this is just an assumption.

Using El Crapitan 10.11.6 with Safari 11.0.

BTW, I had this issue with Yosemite as well when using AdBlock Plus.

Jan 28, 2016 2:47 AM in response to Alistaar

(in reply to original question)

I've resolved the problem by doing the following:

• Disable Safari in iCloud settings
  • Remove all bookmarks
  • Remove all shared links subscriptions
  • Clear Reading List
  • Re-enabled Safari in iCloud settings

I'm not sure if all the steps are required, or if the lag will return, so fingers crossed.

Safari slow opening new tabs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.