Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Preview app "new" annotation capabilities

Hi there,

I am student and I use the preview app a lot to make annotation into my PDF lecture handouts. It was always good, convenient AND easy to use.

However, since Yosemite, it's completely different, in a very bad way! Here's a list of what frustrates me the most:

1) The inability to select for good the "Text" option to be able to click-and-drag anywhere on the document a text box. Now a click just places one small text box that appears in the middle of the screen that you have to drag to the place you want (and start all-over again to place a second...).

2) These boxes are not "dimensionable" as the used to be. The alignment inside the box quite funny (the box expands sometimes to the right, sometimes both ways and sometimes to the left).

3) Boxes used to be "aline-able" one to another. Smart lines appeared to let us know if we reached the middle of the page and so on...

ANOTHER really annoying problem is the following:

Some of my PDF don't even show diagrams or graphics anymore. I have the proof because some of PDF slides look empty on the screen, but the diagrams/graphics were there on Mavericks (I printed them on Mavericks with these graphics on). I will try and open these PDF under a different operating system to see if the graphics are still there...but hey! This is annoying!

Oh and hey, I also have issues when I open a thumb drive from Desktop. The finder window is empty. I can display its content by clicking on the hard drive, then click on my thumb drive in the left bar

Has anyone also encountered these problems? Can anyone suggest a PDF editing app that works a bit like the previous Preview app?

Thanks a lot for your help.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 29, 2014 3:26 AM

1 reply

May 1, 2015 12:29 PM in response to leowild

Hi,

I got a similar problem, with Yosemite's preview showing boxes around all text annotations made with Snow Leopard's Preview. To get rid of it, I downloaded Skim, but the same problem persists. I even put some files on my Android mobile, and the boxes are still there. Suspecting that I was going crazy, I retried those same files on an old Mac with Snow Leopard: boxes gone.

I'm not sure anymore, the problem is Yosemite or Preview; I suspect it might be PDF itself (which would be worse).

Cheers,

Steffen

Preview app "new" annotation capabilities

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.