Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

With iphoto version 7.1.5 can I update to Mavericks or Yosemite without losing photos?

I have OS X 10.8.6 Snow Leopard and want to update to Mavericks or Yosemite, but I have heard that many have had problems with iphoto in doing so. I have a particularly old version of iphoto (2008) and do not want to lose my photos of which there are relatively few--about 80.

Does putting the photos on disk ahead of time get around the issue of saving them before doing any upgrade?

Posted on Oct 29, 2014 5:37 AM

7 replies

Oct 29, 2014 5:56 AM in response to fvd

If you want to continue to use iPhoto after upgrading to Yosemite buy an upgrade to iPhoto 9.6, once you have installed Yosemite. Then run the iPhoto Library Upgrader. see: iPhoto '11: About the Library Upgrader

If you do not want to keep using iPhoto, since your library is not large, export your photos from iPhoto to a folder on your Desktop, before you upgrade:

Select all photos in iPhoto and use "File > Export".

Don't upgrade to a new system without making a full backup of your computer. You will need this backup, if you want to revert to your original system. Before upgrading from Snow Leopard to Yosemite check all your important applications and device drivers, if they are Intel versions or universal versions. The newer MacOS X versions since Lion do no longer support the Roseta environment, that is required to run Power PC apps. If you do not upgrade these older apps while still running Snowleopard, you may not be able to upgrade them at all. See this User Tip:

Classic, Rosetta, and 32/64 bit revisited.

Oct 29, 2014 8:03 AM in response to fvd

Yes - no upgrade to iPhoto loses anything (unless someone goes wrong which is rare but does occur) which is why you always backup your iPhoto library prior to any upgrade

Upgrading to Mavericks is difficult since you need iPhoto '11 version 9.5.1 and it is no longer available (you have to purchase an iLife '11 DVD, install iPhoto and update to 9.5.1) - upgrading to Yosemite is straight forward - backup everything and upgrade the OS then download and run the iPhoto library upgrader (if is instead in the utilities folder of you applications folder when you download it) and then purchase the upgrade to iPhoto 9.6 in the App store and install it - it will complete the upgrade and you are on your way

LN

Aug 1, 2015 11:21 PM in response to léonie

Be aware that the i-Photo Library Upgrader only works with

• OS X Lion 10.7
  • OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8 or later
  • It does not work with Mavericks or Yosemite, so to use it you will need to find an old Mac with one of these old OS's or boot from a relevant system Start up disc, and after upgrading your old i-photo library you will need to import it into i-Photo 11 (9.6.1 or one of the other version 9's - yes the version numbers don't correspond to the i-Photo 11 branding). After doing this you will be able to import directly into Photo. Photo cannot directly import i-Photo Libraries prior to i-Photo 8

Aug 1, 2015 11:38 PM in response to SteveApple50

Which version of iPhoto Library Upgrader do you have?

iPhoto Library upgrader version 8.1. works well with the newer MacOS X versions.

You only need it for older iPhoto Libraries, version 7.1.2 or older. But the upgrader can be run on any current MacOS X version, if you should detect older iPhoto libraries while running Yosemite.

These screenshot are from MacOS X 10.10.4 Yosemite:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Download the iPhoto Library Upgrader from this link: iPhoto '11: About the Library Upgrader

Aug 2, 2015 3:33 AM in response to léonie

I'm intrigued as the only version of I-Photo Library Upgrader is v 1.1. I have confirmed this with Apple and Apple itself says this will only work on the older OS's as specified above. I wonder if the version you have is infact part of your I-photo 7 or 8 App. I'm referring to Apple's standalone downloadable Library Upgrade.

The library I need to convert is a 7.5.1 (I-Photo 8) and Apple clearly states that to do this you must use the Upgrader for which only only version is available: v1.1. Once converted into a more recent version of I-Photo (v9.6.1 in my case), I will be able to import this into the new Photo App that has replaced I-Photo.

Aug 2, 2015 4:00 AM in response to SteveApple50

The version of iPhoto Library Upgrader 1.1 that is installed by the installer from this download link (https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1523?locale=en_US) is the version you are seeing in my screenshot. It has version number 8.1.

if you look at the system requirements stated on the download page it shows

OS X Lion 10.7

OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8 or later

The "or later" means newer MacOS versions are supported.

This version is running on Yosemite. Just try it.

With iphoto version 7.1.5 can I update to Mavericks or Yosemite without losing photos?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.