Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS8: Mail app Email Address changes in ActiveSync Account information

Hello all!

I manage an Exchange 2010 mail system for my company, with approximately 500 mobile devices, a majority of which are iOS using ActiveSync.

Since the upgrade to iOS8, I've seen an issue in the account information for Mail app where after some time (maybe a few days) the Email address (the primary SMTP address) gets changed to the userPrincipalName (UPN) account name from Active Directory. These are different from each other. For our organization (and I'm sure for many others) this is a problem that comes up when the user wants to "Reply to All," the device sends the message back to the user since it thinks the UPN is a different address/account than the SMTP address.

This only came about after the upgrade to iOS8 (also apparent in 8.1) and is affecting all devices. I can change the address to the proper primary SMTP address but it will change back to the UPN after a few days. I'm assuming it is getting the UPN from Exchange Auto Discover, but again this didn't happen previous to iOS8 and is not affecting any other devices using ActiveSync to receive mail.

Thank you for your help!

iPhone 6, iOS 8.1

Posted on Oct 29, 2014 7:10 AM

20 replies

Jan 12, 2017 9:32 AM in response to davezeisler

I have this same problem but we are still using Exchange 2007. Is there a similar fix for it? We have tried changing everything to lowercase except the primary smtp address. The only thing that seems to work for sure is deleting all of values in the proxyaddresses attribute except for the primary smtp address. We are using current IOS and Mobile Iron also.

Oct 31, 2014 6:59 AM in response to davezeisler

I'm having this exact same problem too - started a month ago

Using Exchange 2010, sp3, rollup 7

In my case it is reverting from the primary email address firstinitiallastname@domain.org to our SIP address firstname@domain.org

We can manually change it back in the iPhone Exchange account settings but it reverts after a day or two.

It seems it's only happening to people with new iPhone 6's, at least they are the only ones who have come to me complaining of the problem.

Affected users are on 8.1 now, and it is still happening.

Nov 5, 2014 6:35 AM in response to Grayswandir1

I logged a ticket with Apple. Here's what I learned... They got back to me saying this is indeed an issue, but with MS and Exchange. Involves AD objects with more than one SMTP address. MS has confirmed this as well and a fix should be coming from them, No timeline as to when. I'll bookmark this thread and post back when I see a fix.

Thanks again for following up.

Nov 21, 2014 7:48 AM in response to Grayswandir1

I tried this edit for two accounts we have (changed secondary smtp to firstnamelastname@domain.com from FirstnameLastname@domain.com). This reverted back after a few days still. The account was re-setup on the iPhone 6 as well. Has anyone else had an issue with this recurring after making the lowercase change?

I'm making the changes under SMTP in the Exchange 2007 objects.

Nov 24, 2014 8:57 AM in response to SysAdmin_MA

The problem is actually not in the capitalization of the address itself, but in the prefix of the mailbox e-mail addresses.

For example, you might have these e-mail addresses configured for a mailbox:

SMTP: FirstLast@domain.com

smtp: LastFirst@domain.com

SIP:LoginName@local.net

...the correct e-mail address for the account is obviously the first one in this list. But in the configuration for this example, Exchange is sending both the "SMTP" and "SIP" as primary e-mail addresses, and iOS is displaying the SIP address, which is incorrect.

I tested this workaround and it works. Either remove the other addresses with a capitalized prefix, or change them to "sip:LoginName@local.net" (to match your naming convention)

Hope this helps.

Nov 24, 2014 5:57 PM in response to davezeisler

Dave is correct - I changed my SIP: to sip: - the simple change in case was all I needed. I made this change 10 days ago with two accounts, myself and another user experiencing the problem. Our mail accounts have remained unchanged since. I'm getting ready to do the same for all my users.

I made the change in the proxyAddresses attribute for the Active Directory user object

Nov 24, 2014 6:23 PM in response to davezeisler

I've noticed this behavior as well, but it doesn't seem to actually cause a problem beyond the user receiving a copy of an email message they send if they reply to all.

The correct email address is listed as the from and reply to address if a message is sent outside of the organization and of course, internal users have no problems with it at all.

Is there really a reason to bother changing it beyond the occasional receipt of your own reply? (not trying to be short or snippy... I'm really wondering if it's something I should be concerned about... I've been out on medical leave for a month and will be going back into the office in a few weeks. Based on what I'm going back to, this isn't exactly going to be at the top of my priority list unless there's a real issue here.)

Nov 24, 2014 6:35 PM in response to KiltedTim

It's only annoying, especially if the user replies to all a lot. I've got about 100 users and so far only one has come to me complaining. But once he started noticing it he became convinced that it was causing other problems, even though it wasn't. Luckily the fix takes about 10 seconds per user. I assume it's probably happening to more than just this one user but they aren't as annoyed or haven't really noticed yet. A 15 minute fix for all my users is better than all the potential back and forth emails. 🙂

Nov 24, 2014 7:19 PM in response to Grayswandir1

II'll take a look in ADSIEDIT tomorrow on this. In addition to the reply-all issue, the account is changing on the device, which can cause confusion as most people in our organization have a default SMTP of first initial last name and this is in signature, business cards, etc. While we have multiple adresses for people, having their devices send email as another device can be problematic for tracing emails, communication continuity, etc.

Nov 25, 2014 11:49 AM in response to SysAdmin_MA

I just took another look at the user's that were having the issue. In AD, under ProxyAddresses, the prefix is lowercase for all other address types (sip, eum, etc). The user's default/reply-to address is listed as SMTP and has the correct address listed.

User's phone is still showing the firstnamelastname@domain.com format. Did you have to remove and re-add the account once you made any changes?

iOS8: Mail app Email Address changes in ActiveSync Account information

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.