Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Distorted fonts in iTunes 12

I have upgraded to itunes 12 today and all I am getting is distorted fonts like in the screenshot attached.Is there a fix?User uploaded file

Windows 7

Posted on Oct 29, 2014 7:50 AM

2 replies

Jul 2, 2015 12:26 PM in response to zoheb679

Hi,

I had this problem also recently... The issue is that the website that powers the iTunes Store + Apple Music + pretty much anything else in iTunes is using a font that not a standard windows font. That font is "helvetica neue". Helvetica Neue is a standard font that Apple uses for many things. It is the default font for iOS + OSX. Helvetica wikipedia has a good article on the history of this font.

The problem occurs if user installs a version of Helvetica Neue that is anything besides the normal weight Roman 55, iTunes will pick this and use it display things. In my case I was messing around with Helvetica Neue Bold, not sure the size, but it looked REALLY bad. It took me a while to figure out that this was the problem and how to fix it!

Option 1) Delete All the things

The best (cheapest) solution is to just delete any Helvetica Neue fonts that you have in your "C:\Windows\Fonts" folder. Sounds easy enough? Hopefully it works for you, but chances are the files are locked and it won't let you delete them. If this is the case you have a couple of options.

• You can try restarting and delete the files before you open anything else. This may not work for everyone.
  • You can restart in safe mode and delete the files
  • You can download software that will schedule the files to be deleted the next time you restart. The software that worked for me is called Unlocker Portable. I think it requires you to use it on the command line (CMD/Powershell). I recommend getting it from softpedia. The other download sites I tried like download(dot)com just send you in never ending loop that never actually lets you download it.

Once you have deleted all the Helvetica Neue fonts when you restart iTunes it will pick some other font to use instead. Probably Arial, but could be Lucinde Grande. If you picked this route then it should be fixed at this point.

Option 2) Pay for all the things

The throw money at the solution to the problem is to just buy Helvetica Neue Roman 55 from one of the font sites online. Install the font. Restart iTunes. Problem solved.

Option 3) Borrow all the things (Probably illegal so don't do it)

I haven't tested this, but I imagine If you also happen to have a Mac laying around the house you should be able to borrow Helvetica Neue from it. Install the font on windows. Restart iTunes. Problem solved.

Hopefully this helps you resolve your iTunes font woes. Good luck and happy Listening.

L

Distorted fonts in iTunes 12

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.