Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Preview issues..."couldn’t be opened because you don’t have permission to view it."

I am using a 27" iMac running Yosemite. Since I upgraded the OS I can't open anything in preview. I get the error "???.jpg couldn’t be opened because you don’t have permission to view it." Every screenshot on my desktop, or image in any of my folders gets this error. I have reset the permissions. I have done a folder preference reset, and deleted any Preview settings from the Library. Yet I still get this error. Has any had the same problem, and have you fixed it?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 29, 2014 7:59 AM

12 replies

Oct 31, 2014 4:38 PM in response to StayPithy

Permission Issues - Troubleshooting

You may need to rebuild permissions on your user account. To do this,boot to your Recovery partition (holding down the Command and R keys while booting) and open Terminal from the Utilities menu. In Terminal, type: ‘resetpassword’ (without the ’s), hit return, and select the admin user. You are not going to reset your password. Click on the icon for your Macs hard drive at the top. From the drop down below it select the user account which is having issues. At the bottom of the window, you'll see an area labeled Restore Home Directory Permissions and ACLs. Click the reset button there. The process takes a few minutes. When complete, restart.

Repair User Permissions

Jul 3, 2015 9:04 PM in response to StayPithy

SO while late to this thread, I wanted to add my fix (albeit I'm hoping it continues). After finding this issue on a few different discussions, and dealing with this for almost 2 days and many AppleCare calls, I completely on accident stumbled onto a solution (at least for whatever caused this on my OS). I have a brand new iMac Retina with Yosemite and realized that after a day that almost none of my PDFs or JPG files would open (desktop or external drive). Got the error of "do not have permission to view this file" yadda yadda (same as everyone else on this thread) and it only seemed to reoccur after about a minute every time I reboot. During this minute I was able to open previously denied files in Preview, no problem. Then suddenly, JPGs and PDFs denied me permissions, except the previously opened files, which remained accessible. Then I'd reboot and for another minute or so--I could open more files, until Groundhog Day started again. So, after trying to unlock, already unlocked files and repair disk permissions in disk utility, I finally rebooted for the umpteenth time and the reboot froze....progress bar stopped half way. 3 times. So now, I'm thinking---how great is this Yosemite OS and my 5 thousand dollar investment! I decided my only go to was to boot up in Safe Mode, which was begrudgingly slower than any Safe Mode experience I'd ever had on any Mac. But I went into Disk Utility and Verified Permissions, Verify Disk and Repair Disk Permissions. Then I Shut Down and restarted again. Voila! It not only booted up in a flash, but to my surprise, none of my files were denying me access. As I type this it's been 2 hours and everything is still working, like a new Mac should. Not certain how the same Repair Permissions in Safe Mode fixed this issue. So, as much as I can't guarantee this as a fix, I'd think trying it can't harm the OS anymore than it's glitch already has the user.

Preview issues..."couldn’t be opened because you don’t have permission to view it."

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.