Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto Yosemite Double photo libraries

Hi there,

In the apple support article concerning the advanced settings within iPhoto '11 Apple explaines: "if you uncheck this marker (the marker in front of the option "Import") iPhoto will use threads to these files"

I tried this but it seems not to be working.

I have a photo library of app 80 G filled with both jpeg and NEF files. Before importing my photo's I unchecked the marker for importing photo's, so it is to be expected that iPhoto uses threads to the original files. But to my surprise the iPhoto Librbary is approx 22 G and my Aperture library is approx 55 G. It seems to me that I now have double libraries. (the original and the iPhoto/Aperture).

Anyone know how to solve this?

Furthermore, why is my Aperture library growing when importing files into iPhoto?

I really hope you can help me figure this out.

Posted on Oct 29, 2014 8:25 AM

10 replies

Oct 29, 2014 8:33 AM in response to Geronimo6200

If you uncheck the preference to "copy imported items to the iPhoto library" you are storing up major future problems - iPhoto does not handle "referenced" libraries well at all and they are strongly NOT recommended - iPhoto and File Management

And you NEVER import an iphoto library into iPhoto - it does not work an creates a massive mess

If iPhoto and Aperture are sharing a single library then what ever you do with either program will affect the other program (obvious since there is one library that both use) - if this is what you have a referenced library is OK since Aperture can manage it even though iPhoto can not - but it still have absolutely no advantages

LN

Oct 29, 2014 10:03 AM in response to LarryHN

Hi Larry,

Thanks for the feedback. There are some things I don't understand.........

I have not imported a iPhoto library into iPhoto, what I imported are maps with photo's that are on my harddisk, hence I now have double the need for space for my photo's (once in these maps and once in iPhoto/Aperture).

Then you write that iPhoto and Aperture are sharing a single library. In Finder I can see an iPhoto Library (approx 20G) and an Aperture Library (approx 55 G).

What I learn from your response is that it is not wise to use referenced Libraries. So what happens is that the actual files are always imported in iPhoto Library (JPEG) and Aperture Library (NEF) wether you check or uncheck the "Import" option. This would mean that I can safely delete the maps where the photo's originally stood (or put them on an external drive).

Is that correct?

Oct 29, 2014 10:17 AM in response to Geronimo6200

Then you write that iPhoto and Aperture are sharing a single library

No - notice the word IF

If iPhoto and Aperture are sharing a single library

IF they share a library then they share a library and everything done in one is reflected in both programs since there is on one single library

IF they have separate libraries then there are two libraries and things done in one program are not reflected in the other program

And IF you are using the recommended managed library for photo then you import items and delete the source - if you keep both copies (on in iPhoto and one outside iPhoto) which is not necessary then of course you will have double storage

And no - in iPhoto if you uncheck the copy imported items to the iPhoto library then the original is not copies to the photo library - a link is made and a preview and thumbnail is created (again as you agreed this is not wise) - I have no idea how Aperture handles this - it does have the ability to correct links to originals when they are moved and you can turn off the making of previews - there is an Aperture forum for Aperture questions

LN

Oct 29, 2014 10:20 AM in response to Geronimo6200

You are making this far more complex that it is.

On your Hard Disk you have one copy of the files.

You also have one Photo Library. You can create this with either Aperture or iPhoto, it doesn't matter. Both apps can open and work with the same Library. To have a separate library for jpegs and Raw makes no sense. Both apps can with with both formats.

So merge your iPhoto and Aperture Libraries into one.

Oct 29, 2014 2:59 PM in response to Yer_Man

Hi Terrence,

I to like simplicity, and that is exactly where I get confused..........

- I have iPhoto on my Mac

- I have Aperture on my Mac

- Both were practically unused because I always used Nikon's Capture NX2.

- Nikon stopped supporting NX2 for Yosemite (they say they sold their technology to Google.....)

- I wanted to see how iPhoto works and if it was to be a reasonable replacement.

So with an empty "library" I started to import my photo's into iPhoto. At first I copied all folders in my mainfolder "PICTURES" into iPhoto by simply selecting these subfolders and then dragging them into the iPhoto frame (at that moment the import option was disabled in settings).

First strange thing I encountered was that not all of my files were copied. The NEF files were not visible in iPhoto (i deliberately write "visible" instead of "copied"). Strange......

However, when I dragged the NEF files into iPhoto (I mean ONLY the NEF files) they appeared in iPhoto (so the first time I saw nothing, the second time they showed) and showed next to the previously imported photo's as if nothing was going on..........

At this point I created no separate libraries or anything of that kind. I just imported (dragged) my photo's into iPhoto. When I then checked the "PICTURES" folder I found there were two libraries: iPhoto Library and Aperture Library (together about the same size as my photo files (jpeg and NEF) together.

So my conclusion is that:

- iPhoto makes a copy of the original file

- jpeg copies are stored in iPhoto Library

- NEF copies are stored in Aperture Library

- the original files coexist next to the copied files, therefore doubling the size of the photo files on your harddisk.

I tried to keep it simple, but I think it is not...... Am I doing it wrong?

Oct 29, 2014 3:54 PM in response to Geronimo6200

It is simple if you do not work at making it complex

Be sure you have the latest version of iPhoto and of Aperture - since you do not tell us what OS you have we can not help here - for Yosemite it is iPhoto 9.6 and Aperture 3.6

Create a new library using either program - if you are sure that you have all of you photos outside of the existing library then you can trash it - although I o=wouodl probably not empty the trash until you complete your imports and have at least one good backup

Be sure that imported items are being copied to the library (In iPhoto the preference to copy imported items to the iPhoto library is chekcked)

import your RAW photo into either program and delete the source photos - do NOT import multiple copies of he same photo (like a RAW and a JPEG for example - only the RAW or if there is no RAW then only the JPEG)

Once you have done this you can access all photos using either program - all photos will have the original safely in the library and a preview JPEG and a thumbnail

I have no idea what you have been doing but your descriptions above make no sense at all and your conclusions are incorrect

It is very simple and if you follow the simple steps outlined above you will have no problems

As a side note there is never any reason to mucking around inside of either an iPhoto library or an aperture library - it is not designed for you to use - it is only designed for the SQLite database applications (iPhoto and aperture) to access - stay out of it - you can only mess things up by mucking around inside the library

LN

Jan 27, 2015 3:09 AM in response to LarryHN

Hi Larry,

I am using Yosemite 10.10.1 and iPhoto 9.6

I had to do a clean install due to Yosemite conflicts and slowdowns. This messed up Time machine in some way and I fortunately had a 98% back up of my i photo library on a separate disk. I have now imported that library to my desktop and its called i photo library/imac.

The original I photo library ( not called iMac) has now for some reason only 115 photos in it .

I would like to merge both together then trash the iMac version (or could I rename it?) then trash the original i photo library created my the reinstall as it is smaller by far.

I don't want to mess this up as I understand that iPhoto can be a problem if wrongly played about with.

Is it possible to give me a brief guide to do this properly as I am currently fed up with the mess caused by the use of Yosemite to a lot of other 3rd party programs as well and just want to return to normal.

Once this is done I hope that Time machine will take over its proper role in a reliable way and back up the lot.

Incidentally can I use I cloud drive as well here as some sort of insurance in case Time machine falls away again?

Regards

David

iPhoto Yosemite Double photo libraries

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.