Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I Install Yosemite with a 'failing' SMART Utility?

Hello Apple community, first-timer here!

I bumped my mac on a walkabout a few weeks ago and following the incident it began to freeze on a daily basis, requiring a restart to regain responsiveness. Disk utility located the problem in my reallocated sector count and after a few days the problems stopped and now my mac is running completely normally again. However, upon trying to install the new Yosemite system, I was informed that it couldn't be installed due to 'S.M.A.R.T. errors', see below:

User uploaded file

SMART Utility gave the following readings:

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

However the count has remained stable - '2047' hasn't risen in the past two weeks, and my mac seems relatively healthy except for this one value. Is there a way to lower/change the status of the reallocated sector account so I can get the new OS X, or would it not be wise to upgrade in the first place?

Many thanks in advance,

Z

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Oct 29, 2014 9:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 29, 2014 9:48 AM

Your Mac is not "health except for this one value."

When disks fail, data on the allocation table moves stuff around to use good blocks instead of the bad blocks. There are a specific number of these set aside, and once you run out, the desk is dead. DEAD. Data will be lost, it's unreadable, end of story.

The good thing is that this is a "soft" failure at the moment. SMART errors do NOT show up as "false positives," because drive vendors don't want to have to warranty things that aren't guaranteed to die.

So it would not be wise to upgrade on this disk. It is critical that you make sure you have an up-to-date backup (if you have a 90% backup, then back up to ANOTHER disk; don't overwrite known good data with possible bad data), and then replace the disk. Then upgrade, and restore your data from your backups.

Again: Don't take this lightly. The disk WILL fail, probably sooner rather than later, and the more you delay, the larger your chance of data loss.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 29, 2014 9:48 AM in response to zaminizjammin

Your Mac is not "health except for this one value."

When disks fail, data on the allocation table moves stuff around to use good blocks instead of the bad blocks. There are a specific number of these set aside, and once you run out, the desk is dead. DEAD. Data will be lost, it's unreadable, end of story.

The good thing is that this is a "soft" failure at the moment. SMART errors do NOT show up as "false positives," because drive vendors don't want to have to warranty things that aren't guaranteed to die.

So it would not be wise to upgrade on this disk. It is critical that you make sure you have an up-to-date backup (if you have a 90% backup, then back up to ANOTHER disk; don't overwrite known good data with possible bad data), and then replace the disk. Then upgrade, and restore your data from your backups.

Again: Don't take this lightly. The disk WILL fail, probably sooner rather than later, and the more you delay, the larger your chance of data loss.

Oct 29, 2014 10:24 AM in response to zaminizjammin

While the count may be stable it is very, very high at 2047. I would classify anything above 40 as high so you can see this is orders of magnitude higher. I would also guess it is so high as to have already significantly exceeded the amount of 'spare' blocks William refers to.

I would definitely not use this drive for important stuff.

For what its worth I also find Disk Utility as being useless for reformatting and properly mapping bad blocks using the spare blocks although this might be because it is not telling you it is doing this, equally it could be not checking at all. A utility called Scannerz by SCSC is the only Mac utility which I have seen that does a proper job of testing for bad blocks and mapping them out. However the number you have is so far beyond an acceptable level as to make using that pointless.

Oct 29, 2014 1:39 PM in response to William Lloyd

Thanks for the reply William! Ok, luckily I've backed up my stuff so will be prepared when it goes.

Follow up question though - when you say data will be lost, what effects will I start to see? Will files on my computer start to corrupt and be un-openable or will the macbook just have a sudden breakdown one day and fail to turn back on?? As I said currently the system operates as if nothing had happened...

Oct 29, 2014 2:20 PM in response to zaminizjammin

Usually what will happen is that one day you'll try and wake the machine and you'll get a SPOD that never stops. It'll just go on forever. Then, you'll try to reboot the machine, and it'll go to the grey screen, and never get to the login window. You'll never get the machine to boot, and you won't be able to mount it on another machine, so for all purposes the disk is totally unusable and a total loss.

Now, in cases where you don't have a backup, it often IS possible to recover data off the drive by sending it to a recovery service. That usually costs something like $2000, give or take.

Note that in your case, "one day" could be a month from now, or it could be 10 minutes from now. It's certainly NOT a year or more from now.

Note that your drive has almost 10,000 "power on hours." That's pretty much 5 years of 8x5 usage, or a bit over a year of 24x7 operation. "Typical" hard drives have a life of around 3 years of normal usage, before their failure rates go up exponentially. You're at the far end of that curve. All signs point to now as being the time to replace that drive.

Oct 29, 2014 4:22 PM in response to William Lloyd

Gotcha thank you for all the help ma dude this is all very insightful, I have definitely used the macbook excessively (only got it in 2012), very sad that death is imminent.

Do you have any good suggestions for disk replacement - should I get it professionally done at an Apple Store, buy an SSD and attempt to replace it myself (although I have minimal skills to do so) - there are so many options up online, don't know which one to pick!

Can I Install Yosemite with a 'failing' SMART Utility?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.