Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Xsan missing from preference pane

I do not know if this is related but yesterday I installed Yosemite on my computer. Today I noticed that my server drive was not showing on my desktop. This was the first time using the server drive so I'm not sure if it went missing immediately after installing Yosemite. In the past this normally meant that the drive got unmounted and I just go into Xsan and mount the drive again. This time when I went into System Preferences, Xsan is no longer there. I restarted and reconnected everything and nothing happens. I show that the Fibre is connected by looking in the Fibre Channel Pane in System Preferences.

Now what is weird is I did some research and one guy's forum post said you can manually load Xsan by doing the following in my terminal:sudo launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.xsan.plist

I did this and now the drive is mounted on my computer, BUT the XSan pane still does not show in my System Preferences. Even though I have access now to the drive I would still like to figure this out. Any ideas? Thank you

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10), D700, 16GB, 12 Core

Posted on Oct 29, 2014 2:42 PM

6 replies

Oct 30, 2014 11:57 AM in response to clctv

The Xsan pref pane does not exist in Yosemite. If you need to manually mount a volume on a client system, you can do "sudo xsanctl mount VolumeName". Same with unmount.

If your MDCs are on Yosemite, then you can download a profile from Server.app -> Xsan and install it on the Xsan client. That will configure and enable Xsan and mount your volumes.

If your MDCs aren't on Yosemite, then you may find that a Yosemite client can still mount the volume, but it will not be manageable in Xsan Admin. Also, that would not be a supported configuration. See Xsan: Compatibility of Xsan metadata controllers (MDCs) and clients.

Oct 31, 2014 1:50 PM in response to Claudio Sanchez1

Thank you Claudio,

Can you explain a bit more in detail when you state: "you can download a profile from Server.app ->Xsan and intall it on the Xsan client." I have upgraded the MDC to Yosimte and I see Xsan now in the Server App. But when I click to turn on Xsan service I get the following error "Xsan cannont be configured with a host name ending in ".local". " Then it gives me a prompt name to Change Host Name. I'm worried what will happen if I Change Host Name. If you could give me a little more detailed instructions on what you said on the second paragraph that would be awesome. As you can tell I'm not a networking person whatsoever. Thank you

Nov 3, 2014 9:46 AM in response to Claudio Sanchez1

I verified I'm using the right username/password and I made sure the DNS were identical on the controller and my client computer but still no luck. Could it be an issue with the Host name? All the computers are local and didn't think nobody would need to connect via internet so I just changed the .local to .host and it allowed me to access Xsan. Do I have to actually setup a host name through a domain for this to work? Thanks

Accidentally hit "This Solved my Question" on the previous post and it doesn't let me edit. I'm sure it will help others though.

Xsan missing from preference pane

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.