Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot install Yosemite as it keeps telling me both my internal and external drives are time machine backups

Cannot install Yosemite. Keeps telling me that both my internal and external

drives are backing up with TIme Machine. Any suggestions?

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), iOS 8.0.2

Posted on Oct 29, 2014 1:49 PM

6 replies

Oct 29, 2014 2:01 PM in response to rowezone

Is it actively backing up, or are you encountering a dialog stating that Yosemite cannot be installed because the disk is being used for Time Machine backups?

Read OS X: Cannot install on a volume used by Time Machine for backups

If for some reason you have a folder called Backups.backupdb at the root level of the hard disk on which you want to install Yosemite, move it to the Trash.

Oct 29, 2014 3:10 PM in response to rowezone

That's easy enough. Select Computer from the Finder's Go menu, and then double-click your boot volume, which looks like a "hard disk" icon and is usually named "Macintosh HD". You will see folders named "Applications", "Library", "System", "Users", and perhaps others. If a folder named Backups.backupdb is also among them, drag that one to the Trash. You may need to authenticate to make that change.

Cannot install Yosemite as it keeps telling me both my internal and external drives are time machine backups

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.