Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Late 2009 iMac will not AirDrop with iPhone 6 iOS 8.1

I have an iPhone6 running iOS8.1 and an iMac 21.5 inch, Late 2009 running Yosemite. I cannot get either device to recognize the other when using AirDrop. How can I get AirDrop to work together with these devices? I have read many articles already that have not helped:

Get help using Continuity with iOS 8 and OS X Yosemite

Mac Basics: AirDrop lets you send files from your Mac to nearby Macs and iOS devices

Using AirDrop with OS X Lion, Mountain Lion or Mavericks

Nothing has been able to help. My AirDrop in Finder does not allow me any options such as "Allow me to be discovered by: ..." and "Don't see who you are looking for?"

Any help will be appreciated!

User uploaded file

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Oct 29, 2014 3:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 29, 2014 3:51 PM

Your Mac needs to be 2012 or later to work with an ios device.

User uploaded file

7 replies

Oct 13, 2015 7:29 PM in response to Burgee67

If AirDrop is only supported on 2012 and newer Macs, then why does Apple allow the option to appear in Finder and share extensions on older Macs? Countless wasted hours could be prevented if they bothered to hide a completely dysfunctional feature.

And contrary to the quote listed here, it also doesn't work between two Macs when just one of them is a compatible model. I have a 2009 iMac and 2013 rMBP. With the AirDrop folder open on both machines, neither appears as in the other.

Late 2009 iMac will not AirDrop with iPhone 6 iOS 8.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.