Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini running UHD monitor

Hi

I need a new monitor. If I buy a UHD 60Hz monitor, will my 2012 Mac Mini run it fine @ 2560x1440 60Hz ?

I really can't figure it out. I want a UHD monitor to use it on a Mac Pro in the future.

Thanks

Thomas

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Oct 29, 2014 3:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 29, 2014 3:27 PM

Yes.If the monitor has a DVI input you need to get a dual-link mini displayport to DVI adopter. Those are about $99.

If the monitor has a displayport or mini displayport use that connection and get a mini displayport cable or mini displayport-display port cable.

8 replies

Oct 30, 2014 4:24 AM in response to Isidore Isou

I would not describe a 2560x1440 resolution as being UHD aka. Ultra High Definition aka.4K resolution. However a Mac mini as described by Illaass can drive a monitor at 2560x1440 at 60HZ via either a Mini Displayport to dual-link DVI adapter, or a Mini Displayport to Mini or full-size Displayport cable.

With regards to true 4K monitors which run at around 3840x2160 pixels then the new 2014 Mac mini can only drive these at a maximum of 30fps not 60fps. If such a 4K monitor supports it then it could potentially be used on a Mac mini at 3840x2160 at 30fps and later used on a Mac Pro at 3840x2160 at 60fps or 30fps.

See Using 4K displays and Ultra HD TVs with Mac computers

Jul 31, 2015 5:04 AM in response to Isidore Isou

No.

The Mac mini does not support 4K at 60Hz via any connection. Nor does it support dual connections to a single display. Dual connections requires two Displayport connections and a video card capable of supporting that mode. The Mac mini has far too feeble a video card even if the current Mac mini might just qualify on the two Displayport connections side.

The best you can do is 4K at 30fps via Displayport or HDMI.

Jul 31, 2015 6:03 AM in response to John Lockwood

John Lockwood wrote:

No.

The Mac mini does not support 4K at 60Hz via any connection. Nor does it support dual connections to a single display. Dual connections requires two Displayport connections and a video card capable of supporting that mode. The Mac mini has far too feeble a video card even if the current Mac mini might just qualify on the two Displayport connections side.

The best you can do is 4K at 30fps via Displayport or HDMI.

Thanks John.

4K@30 would be great, but in order to get 4K@30Hz on a 2012 Mini (HD4000), I need to modify the graphic driver or something like that, right ?

Jul 31, 2015 6:36 AM in response to Isidore Isou

Ah I forgot you have a 2012 model.

Strictly speaking that means you cannot do 4K at all. However I did find this thread Is MacMini (2012) capable of viewing 4K?

Basically it looks like you might be able to get that resolution at approximately 30fps but it requires using SwitchResX - see http://www.madrau.com/ which contrary to some comments is not actually free, rather there is a trial version available. Also it may or may not be possible to do in Mavericks or Yosemite, it might only be possible in Mountain Lion. According to your original post you are running Mountain Lion.

The following is a slightly different approach but may be worth looking at, again it might not work in Mavericks or later. http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3633447

Dec 12, 2015 7:20 AM in response to Isidore Isou

Hi

After my tests I feel a bit lost :

Using a AOC U2868PQU UHD monitor connected in DP to my MacMini HD4000, or to my MacbookAir HD5000 :

- Under monitor pref, I can't get anything over 1080p

- Using Switchresx, I can get 2560x1440 but it's very blurry.

Using a Accell miniDP>Hdmi active adapter :

- Mac mini : same thing

- HD5000 : under monitor pref, I can get a 2560x1440 with looks great, not retina, but clean, just like a thunderbolt display

Why can I get the same with my mac mini ???

Thanks for your help.

Mac Mini running UHD monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.