Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can not open .pages file on new iMac Mavericks

Cannot open a .pages file on 2014 iMac with Mavericks. Pages v 5.2.2 says there is a newer version but I cannot upgrade Pages either. Thoughts?

Posted on Oct 29, 2014 3:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 1, 2014 2:35 PM

Hi katmcg,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

I know that situations that keep you from opening documents can be very frustrating. The new version of Pages that is being referred to is Pages 5.5 and is available with Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite.

Mac App Store - Pages

Cheers,

Joe

9 replies

Nov 1, 2014 4:20 PM in response to AppleJoe

Joe

Since Apple has set up the situations that keep users from opening their own, and others', files, what is it doing about it, other than constantly breaking what is already severely broken?

I am just deciding for myself after a year of this awful, awful "update" as to whether I just cut my losses and toss it out.

There seems no end in sight for the bad design, churn of formats that don't work with each other and almost total loss of functionality.

Peter

Nov 1, 2014 4:18 PM in response to katmcg

You may have Pages ’09 v4.3 still in /Applications/iWork '09 after the Pages v5 install. If Pages ’09 is active, without an open document, and you double-click a Pages v5 document, you will get the following dialog:

User uploaded file

There is no newer version of Pages available from Apple for Pages ’09, (or Pages v5.2.2 either) and this message is really telling you that you cannot open a Pages v5 document in the Pages ’09 application.

The newest version is v5.5, which Apple restricted to OS X Yosemite. It will show as an incompatible update in the OS X App Store for Mavericks users.

Nov 1, 2014 4:24 PM in response to katmcg

May I add to Viking's post that by using Pages '09 you maintain maximum compatibility with other Mac users and avoid all the fractured Pages 5 file formats that others can't open, even yourself.

Take a lesson from Apple.

Apple does not use the iWork software itself. It uses MsOffice for office communications and Adobe's Creative Suite for publications and image editing.

If Apple used its own iWork 5 software it would grind to a halt.

Peter

Nov 19, 2014 6:15 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

Peter,

I too have been having massive issues with the newer Pages. Basically, my partner who is currently at Uni needs to share documents and presentations with other students and staff, all on various Mac or Windows machines. Stupidly, I upgraded both her MacBook Air and my iMac to Yosemite, since when her Pages output has been practically unopenable to anyone else! After much headscratching I managed by a long-winded way to revert my iMac to Mavericks, and re-install earlier Pages and Keynote. Now I can't open any of her documents...Considering reverting her Mac to Mavericks, but then SHE won't be able to open anything either!

You're right, this is a major, major headache - and that stupid box that pops up to say I need to install the latest operating system and Pages is getting on my nerves!

Nothing helpful to add I'm afraid, but you're not alone!

Salty

Can not open .pages file on new iMac Mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.