Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage won't go online

I have had my Macbook for about a month & everything has been working perfectly. Today I had to change my Apple ID password & now my iMessage & my Facetime aren't connected to my Mac. When I go to iMessage it says everyone is offline & when I try to make myself available again it ask for a "talk.google.com" password. I type my apple ID password but that doesn't work. Can anyone help me please?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Oct 29, 2014 3:31 PM

4 replies

Oct 24, 2017 12:28 PM in response to tyreeconquest

Hi,

I can't believe the 77 "Me too"s on this.

It is posted in Mountain Lion but seems to be about High Sierra.

In Messages > Preferences > Accounts in High Sierra you may have two accounts.

iMessages and a d Jabber one (GoogleTalk)

iMessages is either signed in or it isn't you can't tell unless it tells you when attempting to login or when you try to send an iMessages after that.

The Messages Menu Status item refers to Buddy Lists (There used to be AIM, Jabber, Bonjour and Yahoo.

If you try to be Available here it will try to log in a Jabber account in High Sierra.

Older versions might try AIM (No Longer accepting Client apps to login and will close full in December) or Yahoo (ended at the start of Sierra) and Bonjour (stopped at the start of High Sierra) or Jabber accounts (of which Google Talk is one).

Up until the "end" or Sierra Apple IDs issued by Apple could be used as AIM Screen Names (@mac.com @Me.com if linked to iCloud and @icloud.com ones themselves).

You appear to have one issue and are trying to solve it with an Action that belongs to another account.

In the Messages > Preferences > Accounts iMessages account will not Enable then look at this User Tip When the iMessages account will not Login

User uploaded file

8:28 pm Tuesday; October 24, 2017

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Sierra)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 iPhone 6 iOS 11.x and an iPad (2)

iMessage won't go online

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.