Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

family sharing international

my family are located in different countries.

Can family sharing be used with family member in various countries ?

Thank you.

Posted on Oct 29, 2014 8:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 1, 2014 2:23 AM

Apparently not. According to Apple your family stops being a family at the doors of an App Store. 😠

16 replies

Jul 26, 2015 5:12 AM in response to Old Toad

This is not primarily about photo sharing, it's about family sharing. There is absolutely no reason for Apple to restrict family sharing across different app stores if both app stores have the shared apps. Yet Apple apparently wants you to re-purchase the licenses. I've lived in the U.S. for many years, purchased all my licenses in the U.S. app store and now I'm back in Europe. At least I still have my U.S. credit card/bank account otherwise I would be totally screwed. But family sharing with my family here in Europe: NO WAY, says Apple. 😠

Jul 26, 2015 9:09 AM in response to Lord Tea

Lord Tea wrote:

This is not primarily about photo sharing, it's about family sharing. There is absolutely no reason for Apple to restrict family sharing across different app stores if both app stores have the shared apps. Yet Apple apparently wants you to re-purchase the licenses. I've lived in the U.S. for many years, purchased all my licenses in the U.S. app store and now I'm back in Europe. At least I still have my U.S. credit card/bank account otherwise I would be totally screwed. But family sharing with my family here in Europe: NO WAY, says Apple. 😠

It likely has nothing to do with what Apple wants. It is more likely to do with what the bureaucrats in each country want. The license agreements would have to be binding across every country you wish to share. When all the countries of the world decide to enforce license agreements universally, then the option to Family Share across borders may be possible.

Jul 26, 2015 10:18 AM in response to Barney-15E

You make it sound like sharing is the issue here. It isn't. Because according to Apple's rules one can not transfer purchases from one store to another. And this was a rule that existed long before the inception of family sharing. Why would I suddenly lose the right to use software I have purchased a license for because I have moved to a different country?

Jul 26, 2015 10:54 AM in response to Lord Tea

Lord Tea wrote:

You make it sound like sharing is the issue here. It isn't. Because according to Apple's rules one can not transfer purchases from one store to another. And this was a rule that existed long before the inception of family sharing. Why would I suddenly lose the right to use software I have purchased a license for because I have moved to a different country?

Because the license agreement for the software you purchased was dependent on the country in which it was licensed.

The issue was sharing a license purchased in one country with users in a different country which likely has different laws regarding such a license.

In your new hypothetical, Apple could implement some method of agreeing to a new license agreement for the new country once you established a credit card in that country. I have no idea if they have that or not. Nor do I know if it could be one single agreement or if you would have to agree to every piece of software. While the App Store has essentially one license agreement, individual developers can have their own.

Nov 19, 2015 5:42 AM in response to Reeninoz

Why so complicated? Why not allow two or more credit cards per account (each with their own bank account and billing address of course)?

Besides, I doubt that, if you're using two different Apple IDs, both can be synchronized. If Apple allows you to keep the license from a second Apple ID, they might not allow any software updates.....

family sharing international

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.