Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Air 2 Smart Cover different from iPad Air Smart Cover?

The images on Apple's site show the current Smart Cover to be shaped quite differentlly at the hinge from the original iPad Air Smart Cover; they show it to fit much better to the thinner form of the iPad Air 2. I ordered one for my iPad Air 2, but the one that came (Product Red) is identical to that of the iPad Air, and doesn't fit nearly as well as the photos show it to. Did Apple in fact change the form of the case, or are the images on their site merely for marketing? They could have just sent me this case, hoping I would not notice.

iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi, iOS 8.1

Posted on Oct 29, 2014 7:51 PM

8 replies

Oct 31, 2014 11:26 PM in response to David Shanahan

The differences I am noting are that in the pictures, the bar that makes contact with the iPad is thinner and more rounded than the Smart Cover I received; it fits perfectly to the shape of the iPad, where as mine does not. The part that covers the screen fits fine, but the hinge does not. The polyurethane between that bar and the first panel is wider in the picture, as well. If you look at the first image on the Accessories page (http://www.apple.com/ipad/accessories/), you can see that there is a significant loop of material underneath the iPad when the cover is used as a landscape stand.

Nov 1, 2014 11:47 AM in response to ajrmatt

You're not going crazy. The covers are indeed slightly different. The bar has been re shaped to be narrower so the iPad Air 2 lays flat, and reports indicate the new one is slightly more gray at least in the case of the "black" one.

In the case of the black one, the change is indicated by the model change (MF053LL/A vs MGTM2ZM/A).

I'm sure there are more changes, and others that find this thread may chime in. That said, I continue to use the old one and it is functionally the same.

Nov 1, 2014 4:50 PM in response to cvx5832

So, I called Apple Support, and the woman on the other end, naturally, had no idea that they had made a change. She continued telling me, "I'm really sorry we don't have an iPad Air 2 Smart Cover." I explained that Apple did not update the name or separate the two products on the site because they say both function properly for each iPad Air style. I feel that, if the color is the same between the two types of cover, Apple is just sending out their stock of the older version. I'm assuming there was no sudden replacement of stock in the stores and that they will just wait to replenish with more old or the new until those in store are all sold out.

Nov 1, 2014 7:51 PM in response to ajrmatt

It is very strange that they wouldn't distinguish the old and the new covers from each other as you pointed out. I suppose it is possible that they want to clear old inventory, but I don't think they'd have trouble getting rid of it even if they did label the new ones accordingly.

They did the same with the Smart Covers. At least in the Apple Store around here, the staff didn't even know they had the new ones in even when the App said there were a lot in stock. My wife works in retail so it was instinctive for her to look at the model numbers. Alas, there they were under their noses all along. Stocked one on top of another, old stock mixed with the new. I wouldn't blame them. No information on the apple website about the change, plus they say it's good for both new and old versions so one would assume no updates were made.

Same story at Best Buy. Old mixed with the new, and nobody had a clue what I was talking about.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3956/15688357952_165755a261_c.jpg

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5597/15501955460_bc9d9bfd8a_c.jpg

Nov 3, 2014 4:08 PM in response to cvx5832

So I finally went into my Best Buy and found the same situation, naturally. The new stock had just been placed over top of the old. I grabbed one of each and found that the new is definitely not like the pictures show at the hinge. In fact, it's barely different from the old at all. It may be just the sliiiightest bit thinner. Definitely not perfectly fitted to the curve of the Air 2. It is still semi-circle in shape, where as the picture shows it to be a little more teardrop shaped. Nor is the strip of polyurethane between the bar and first panel as wide as shown, but that is a good thing, because that picture is actually defying physics in the way the iPad is snugg against the panel upon which it rests in horizontal stand mode. (All in reference to the first picture on http://www.apple.com/ipad/accessories/). All in all, looks like the cover really hasn't changed enough to justify a specification, and Apple changed the images for marketing purposes, for they do make it look quite a bit more appealing than the actual cover would be. It would be nice to have a specification though, or at least have the retail employees know so they can determine which might be a little better for the customer.

Nov 3, 2014 6:36 PM in response to ajrmatt

The biggest difference ("biggest" being relative) I've seen is that the new one has an ever so slightly narrower strip between the bar and the actual cover. This allows the cover to sit directly on top of the screen. When you fit the old cover on the new air you'll notice that it sits about 1-2mm to the right of the screen because it was meant for a thicker iPad.

That said, I'm in agreement that they're functionally the same. I suppose they just wanted it to be perfect.

iPad Air 2 Smart Cover different from iPad Air Smart Cover?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.