Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

webloc icon blank on desktop only

Since updating to the release build of Yosemite my webloc (that is an icon for a Web site address) icons are blank.

Prior to that they all had the Safari style icon with WEBLOC on them. The icons are normal in all other folders I have checked in the Finder.

I tried to fix this problem by changing the "Open With" section in Get Info. Still the white icons on my Desktop.

It isn't the worst bug ever but it irks me and it is weird.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2), eyeTV 3.5.3 and HDHomeRun

Posted on Oct 29, 2014 8:36 PM

11 replies

Oct 29, 2014 9:11 PM in response to Carrie Carlson

Carrie Carlson wrote:

Since updating to the release build of Yosemite my webloc (that is an icon for a Web site address) icons are blank.

Prior to that they all had the Safari style icon with WEBLOC on them. The icons are normal in all other folders I have checked in the Finder.

I tried to fix this problem by changing the "Open With" section in Get Info. Still the white icons on my Desktop.

It isn't the worst bug ever but it irks me and it is weird.

Did you try relaunching the Finder?

Click the Finder icon on the Dock holding the control option keys>Relaunch

Nov 23, 2014 3:50 PM in response to Carrie Carlson

Hi,

I am having the same issue.

But anywhere I drag desktop or any folders all my safari links went blank. And made all old links that were pulled go blank just not new links.

I think it had something to do with an App I installed? Or the last update.

But I did notice if I use Chrome or FireFox The weblog image does appear. So it's only related to pulling the link from Safari.

I also tried repair disk and PRAM and still nothing?

I am hoping the next update fixes this.

Nov 24, 2014 4:12 AM in response to Blockheads88

The app is a pref pane called RC Default Apps. It's old and hasn't been updated in ages but still works in Yosemite.

I also have Deliveries. Both the App Store app and the widget. RC Default Apps shows it handles the "com.apple.web-internet-location" UTI, but doesn't claim it.

At any rate in my case the game I mentioned seems to have been the culprit.

Apr 9, 2015 2:48 PM in response to Carrie Carlson

I updated to Yosemite 10.10.3 yesterday and the weblog works fine now - for new weblog files. The old ones made when it wasn't working are still blank, but they now show the correct icon when you drag them. They will still be blank when you drop them elsewhere on the desktop. So for me, I just reopened each one in safari, trashed the blank one and then dragged the new one onto the desktop from Safari. A little cumbersome if you have lots of weblog files, but it's working on my iMac 27" now.

Also, I just found out that if I OPT+drag the old, blank file, it will make a copy and that will have the icon!

webloc icon blank on desktop only

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.