Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yosemite Killed my iMac

I need help!!! First I got an error while down loading Yosemite. I restarted the download and all went fine. I started the upgrade and walked away knowing it would take a while. When I returned the iMac was shut down and as I restarted there was an error and it asked if I wanted to restore. I tried to restore and it said that my drive was locked. after trying to see if a restart would help, when it restarts i get a grey apple and a status bar. When it gets about 30% of the way the iMac just shots down. I have no idea what to do. Can anyone help me?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), upgrading to Yosemite

Posted on Oct 29, 2014 9:12 PM

9 replies

Mar 31, 2015 11:19 AM in response to astrother2

After updating to the latest minor securiy update my imac was frozen trying to boot showing the gray apple screen.

After a hard shut down, it starts that same gray apple screen but shuts down after few minutes.

Disk utility sees lot's of error / permission on HD but does not allow me to fix neither.

I tryed to reinstall Yosemite from recovery mode and I get a message " your HD is locked".

After googleing about this problem, the amount of users that updated to 10.10.2 with this kind of issue is huge.

They been comunicating this problem to Apple for a long time (it start to happen after the 10.10 upgrade) and they were hopeing that the 10.10.2 would fix it, but aparently the 10.10.2 even removed the work around that some "programer" had done on theire computers to be able to use them.

"do a back up" it's a disclamer for bad program. I would like to have a fix for my computer and know what is going on?????

Mar 31, 2015 11:32 AM in response to Allan Eckert

So now you are being rude to both of us.

Thank you.

Most of the discussion has been outiside apple official website, and I have no idea how to add what is going on for them to see that it is a "I broke the computer because I didn't know that your update was unreliable" and "probably that is a way around to fix it"

I am not sure what level 8 means ... maybe someone knolagible that can help???

So I am wrong about that ... sorry, will try another ...

Thank you

Mar 31, 2015 11:47 AM in response to Allan Eckert

If this page is to help ... it means that people are here because something went wrong.

If you answer is what it is ... than you can't help.

There for you way of thinking is broken to the purpose of this page.

If you can't help or don't know to fix, don't consider it doomed..... (as I stated some knolegible people were able to fix it)

But it was on that black screen that looks like a programming, and they change and add words to it, and I am not knolegble enough to risk doing that.

Please,

Just admit that you don't know, don't give answers that create more problems.

By your replies it seams to be an issue outside this page (private)

Yosemite Killed my iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.