Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

This Mac can't connect to iCloud because of a problem with...

Since upgrading to Yosemite, at least once per day, I get a pop message informing me of an iCloud issue:

"This Mac can't connect to iCloud because of a problem with <my email address>

Open iCloud preferences to fix this problem"

But everything looks and works fine. I use all aspects of iCloud except email (I use a non-Apple email address for iCloud/AppleID/iTunes). Every one of them seems to operate perfectly. I have tried logging out of iCloud & resetting everything. I have tried unchecking and re-checking each element of iCloud. But no matter what I try, I end up getting the message above daily (usually more than once).

There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to when the message will pop up. There's no pattern like "it does it when I close Safari" or "it does it when I edit a contact". The only pattern that I can come up with is that it seems to happen only when I am using the computer. So if/when I leave it turned on over-night (and I have sleep disabled), the message does not pop up.

I also have an iPhone (running iOS 8.1) and I have no iCloud issues or errors on that device. It's just on my MBP running Yosemite that I see this message.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 30, 2014 7:29 AM

59 replies

Nov 6, 2014 7:16 AM in response to EdMartin

Ed,

My experience is in every way the same as yours as described in your initial post. It does not seem to matter what programs are running or what time of day etc... It seems entirely random. My numerous calls to Apple have resulted In my dumping tons of unwanted files, programs, cache and other junk from my IMac and still the message pops up.

I am now waiting for the Apple senior tech guy ( who seems really outstanding in every way ) to get back to me when he returns to the office.

Joel

Nov 8, 2014 9:26 AM in response to EdMartin

I have the same problem. Does anyone else also have a problem with Messages and Facetime? iCloud works fine for syncing notes etc, but I still get the error message from time to time.

Then there is the problem of not being able to log on to Messages and Facetime at all. No error messages, just never make it past the log-in step. Wonder if these two problems might be related..?

Nov 11, 2014 11:51 AM in response to EdMartin

I also have this problem on Yosemite. I use all items, but I have also removed individual items and no matter what I use or what I leave out, the error message still occurs. I had this very same problem with Mavericks when it first came out, but the workaround for that does not work with the problem now on Yosemite.

Apple need to get this problem sorted or their big plan for iCloud will be of no use at all. Come on Apple please sort it out.

Nov 24, 2014 5:19 AM in response to EdMartin

Hello EdMartin, I have the same problem, although something doesn't syncing well on my Mac and iPhone: the Safari history.

With Yosemite and iOS8, Safari history should sync between devices. It did for almost a month and now it doesn't work and I've this message.

It happens when I close Safari or when I delete history on my Mac to try to "reset" it on iCloud and see if it works again.

Maybe you have feature of iCloud not working, when my Safari history was working like a charm, I never had this **** message.

This Mac can't connect to iCloud because of a problem with...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.