Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot lower the incoming call volume when listiening to podcasts via headphones

Hi, I have a bug with my iPhone 5 running iOS 8, 8.0.2 and 8.1.

When listening to a podcast via headphones, if I answer an incoming call, I cannot change the caller's volume no matter how many times I press the volume up/down buttons. When the call ends, the podcast's volume is at the newly adjusted volume, even though the call's volume was unchanged.

If the caller is speaking loudly then not being able to lower the volume is an acoustic hazard.

Since I upgraded to iOS 8.1, the bug is intermittent, it happens for some calls but not for others. In iOS 8 it was more consistant.

I don't have this problem for outgoing calls.

iPhone 5, iOS 8.0.2

Posted on Oct 30, 2014 7:36 AM

3 replies

Dec 12, 2014 12:43 PM in response to lironl

Same problem here on iPhone 6 Plus iOS v8.1.2.

If I receive a call whilst listening to podcast:

- The volume of podcast goes down and I accept call

- The caller is often very loud so I try the inline volume control to turn them down which has no effect

- Have to therefore tell caller that I'll have to ring them back and hangup

- Podcast app oftern doesn't auto restart and when it does it turns out the volume changes I made on the call have actually been controlling the podcast app, so it's always quiet.

This this is a hugely annoying (and potentially dangerous/distracting issue) that needs to be address asap.

with an iPhone I at least expect the phone functioning to work flawlessly at all times.

Please fix Apple.

Cannot lower the incoming call volume when listiening to podcasts via headphones

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.