Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari 8.0, Google Docs and excessive memory consumption / leak?

I've noticed that if I open Google Docs to edit a document in Safari 8.0 on Yosemite, the memory consumption of the resulting process just keeps climbing until memory is exhausted and the system starts issuing "low memory" warnings.

It seems to suffice to leave the window open on a document - even when no editing is taking place, the memory consumption keeps growing.

Looks like a horrible memory leak to me. Is anybody else seeing this?

(It doesn't happen in Chrome on Yosemite.)

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 30, 2014 9:09 AM

15 replies

Apr 7, 2015 4:23 PM in response to ceric

I see the same thing happening with my Google Sheet, and I use Chrome. I switched from Safari a while ago because Sheets wouldn't even function in Safari, it kept resetting every time I edited a cell. Anyway, the memory use with Chrome just keeps climbing until I have to kill it. It just started a few weeks ago for me, but I've been using Sheets for much longer than that. I have GB of RAM. It's ridiculous, I shouldn't have to think about buying a new laptop with 16GB of RAM to use a spreadsheet!

Feb 23, 2016 1:14 PM in response to ceric

I never really noticed the issue as I never really kept Google document open in Safari. I would work on them, then close.

I use a Google sheet as a schedule/calendar for work and I was very happy to be able to pin a tab with this sheet in Safari 9, so I could always access it super easily....

But, now, after a couple of hours, having the tab always open, the memory located to it grows to several GB.

About 10 minutes ago, I had to kill Safari as it was taking almost 6GB... on my 4GB MacBook Air. It took me almost 5 minutes to log, open Activity Monitor and kill the app....

I's quite a pain.

Safari 8.0, Google Docs and excessive memory consumption / leak?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.