Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Possible to stream purchased content to 1st generation apple TV

I have a 2nd Gen Apple TV downstairs and just purchased a 1st Gen Apple TV because I needed the Component jacks on the back of it to connect to my pre-HDMI TV (DLP). It appears that I am able to sync some content - mostly music and few TV shows and no photos.

Questions:

1) I don't want to sync the content to the 160GB Hard Drive, but rather stream the content like I do on my 2nd Gen, but on my 1st Gen. Is that possible? Or do I have to download whatever content I want to watch on the 1st Gen from my ITunes account? If that is the case, can I rent movies, or do they all have to be owned?

2) Is Airplay applicable to 1st Gen?

3) Netflix?

4) What version of software is the max available for the 1st Gen? The GUI seems dated.

Thanks for the help!

Mike

Apple TV, 1st Gen Apple TV

Posted on Oct 30, 2014 12:25 PM

2 replies

Oct 31, 2014 1:57 AM in response to unitedbacon2020

You can't stream from the cloud as that came long after AppleTV1 was discontinued (hence Airplay Mirroring and Netflix unavailability too).

You can stream to AppleTV 1 from iTunes on a computer provided iTunes is running and they are on the same network, and this can be done without syncing, though I suspect it is not what you want. Be aware AppleTV1 can upscale to 1080i/p but as it is old the best video it can decode is 720p 24/25fps.

Apple TV (1st generation): Differences between syncing and streaming

Possible to stream purchased content to 1st generation apple TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.