Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen saver problem. Yosemite

Help please. I keep having to go back into Screen Saver to reselect the iphoto album I want it to run. It works for a few cycles, or sometimes only once, then switches back to National Geographic slides. Grr.

iMac, MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5)

Posted on Oct 30, 2014 1:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 30, 2014 8:16 PM

Back up all data. Quit System Preferences if it's running.

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it, then copy the text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C:

~/Library/Preferences/ByHost

In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar. Paste into the box that opens (command-V), then press return. A folder should open. If it does, look for a file with a long name that begins "com.apple.screensaver". There may be several such files. Move them all to the Trash.

Log out or restart the computer. Test. If the problem is resolved, empty the Trash and recreate your settings in the Screen Saver tab.

43 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 30, 2014 8:16 PM in response to FoxFlea

Back up all data. Quit System Preferences if it's running.

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it, then copy the text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C:

~/Library/Preferences/ByHost

In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar. Paste into the box that opens (command-V), then press return. A folder should open. If it does, look for a file with a long name that begins "com.apple.screensaver". There may be several such files. Move them all to the Trash.

Log out or restart the computer. Test. If the problem is resolved, empty the Trash and recreate your settings in the Screen Saver tab.

Dec 31, 2014 9:40 AM in response to FoxFlea

I was having the same problem. I called into Apple and they were able to work with me (even though I was no longer under warranty) because the issue seemed to come up after I installed Yosemite. They walked me through a bunch of things, but what ended up working was to reinstall the operating system. If you do this, just make sure to do a backup to an external hard drive first, just in case. I got through to someone who could help me by calling (800-275-2273).

Screen saver problem. Yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.