Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is "incoming Mail Server" grayed out?

My mail program on my desktop (Intel Mac) stopped receiving emails from my email server (Verizon). It looks like the account settings form "incoming mail server" are not accurate, but it is grayed over and I can't change the setting. I upgraded to the "Yosemite" operating system last week, but didn't have a problem until the middle of the day today. The incoming mail server reads "incoming.yahoo.verizon.net" and I can't change it. I need help.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Posted on Oct 30, 2014 4:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 1, 2014 4:21 AM

I am having the same problem, only on my iMac running Yosemite. For example, the computer received it's last email at 12:01am this morning but my iPhone continued to receive emails on the same account until now (7:20). I can log directly onto the Verizon account from the iMac and look at the email traffic as well. Things seemed to work fine when the incoming server was "incoming.verizon.net" without the "yahoo" piece, but somehow the server settings changed and I can't gain access to them either...

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 1, 2014 4:21 AM in response to the7guys

I am having the same problem, only on my iMac running Yosemite. For example, the computer received it's last email at 12:01am this morning but my iPhone continued to receive emails on the same account until now (7:20). I can log directly onto the Verizon account from the iMac and look at the email traffic as well. Things seemed to work fine when the incoming server was "incoming.verizon.net" without the "yahoo" piece, but somehow the server settings changed and I can't gain access to them either...

Nov 1, 2014 8:20 AM in response to the7guys

I've been chatting with verizon support, who recommended deleting the old mail account and setting it up with the correct settings. I did this 2 days ago. Yesterday the settings had changed and again couldn't access messages from the "mail" application. Same thing happened yesterday, same result. Now I'm waiting (and paying) for apple support to call me, and hopefully this will be fixed. (And yes, I lost all old emails when I deleted the old accounts. I'm hoping there is a way to retrieve them from time machine)

Nov 1, 2014 10:14 AM in response to the7guys

I talked with the apple rep. The solution is to go to the "mail" preferences, accounts, and after choosing the account on the left side, click on "advanced" along the top right. Then deselect the box "Automatically detect and maintain account settings". This should allow you to go back to "account information" and the incoming mail server will no longer be gray. The setting should read "pop.verizon.net".

Just in case, I also clicked on the drop down next to the "Outgoing Mail Server(SMTP)" and click the "edit SMTP server list". Click the "Advanced" button and deselect "Automatically detect and maintain account settings". Choose "OK". Make sure the program asks you to save when you close the preferences window. You may need to close "mail" and reopen. This seems to have worked for me. Now I'm still trying to figure out how to retreive the deleted messages.

Nov 1, 2014 11:58 AM in response to the7guys

The reply you posted was dead on. You nailed it! Disabling the "Auto Detect" box, saving the changes, and restarting it solved the problem. All the emails I could see on my iPhone that came into my Verizon account since the iMac settings changed are now accessible on the computer. Many thanks!

Jul 26, 2015 10:00 AM in response to the7guys

I've had this problem for a while and could only finally solve it by deleting the email account that had the bad email server (greyed out) and then recreating it with the correct server. Then all the emails got retrieved from the server fine again. I tried all the other solutions, even disconnecting from iCloud, but nothing worked except delete/recreate.

Why is "incoming Mail Server" grayed out?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.