Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How will Adobe CS2 run on my imac G5 2.0 GHz?

On ebay I recently won a imac G5 (ALS) 2.0 GHz with 1GB of RAM and a 128 MB ATI Radeon 9600 Video Card etc. you guys probably already know the specs.
anyways despite the optimistic opinions of the guys at my local independent mac store I'd like to know really how well this machine will run the Adobe CS2 Suite (Illustrator, Photoshop & InDesign).
now I don't work on HUGE files... probably 20 megs max, but I like to switch back and forth between Photoshop and Illustrator a lot, dragging and dropping graphics etc. and one of my biggest peeves is lag of any kind while I'm doing this. screws up my "flow" or whatever when I'm in the groove and I'm feeling inspired.
what I have at my 9-5 office job is a Mac Pro G5 w/ dual 1.8 GHz processors and 3GB of RAM. this is basically where I'm coming from (wish it was mine but it belongs to the company) so how will my imac hold up when I'm doing my graphic design at home? do I need more RAM? thanks for your help

imac G5 (ALS) Mac OS X (10.4) Graphic Design

Posted on Sep 27, 2006 9:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2006 9:37 AM

Your machine will work perfectly well with what you have, but you would probably be happier with another GB of RAM, given your preferences.

But try with the RAM it comes with and see if that's ok for you, it should work just fine.

Hope this helps,

Miriam
9 replies

Sep 27, 2006 10:03 AM in response to MGW

sounds good.... thanks.

I've read a few posts here and it looks like people are replacing the RAM on these machines themselves... so thats good. I figured because the whole thing was so compact like a laptop it might be tricky but I'll do a little more research and get it figured out how I'll put 2GB in... (if I need it).

imac G5 (ALS) Mac OS X (10.4.1) Graphic Design

Sep 27, 2006 10:08 AM in response to Benny P.

running Illustrator and Photoshop are only two things this computer will be used for (and surfing the web and playing music. wish it was an isight imac and came with the remote danggit) so it sounds like it'll suit that purpose just fine.
now if I got into video editing or animation etc. I'd probably need a Mac Pro but thats not my field of expertise.

Sep 27, 2006 10:38 AM in response to MGW

Instuctions on replacing the RAM are here, it's a PDF for you to download, the
instructions are very easy to follow,

Hope this helps,

Miriam

the only thing I didn't see was how you get from laying the computer flat to removing the back panel... maybe if I just look at a different PDF it'll detail this. the one for installing memory just goes from laying the mac flat then grounding your finger on a metal panel...

edit: ah, nevermind. I took my own advice and checked out another section.

Sep 27, 2006 11:15 AM in response to Chriscart1

Chris,

I have a 20 in with 1GB RAM. Have upgraded from CS1 to CS2. For what I do at home it runs just fine. Sounds like my file sizes are very similar to yours. Movie editing and crunching DVDs does take some time. I also do quite a bit with Garageband. Love the machine. I probably should max out the RAM as this would help with some of the speed.

Quadra

Sep 27, 2006 11:52 AM in response to Quadra

cool... next I'll have to get an ipod nano (black ofcourse) and build my music library up again. I'm coming from a PC and the really clunky Sony Connect music software so as soon as my Mac arrives my Sony mp3 player is gonna go up on ebay and I'm going to have to look around for a nano. I like itunes so much better anyways... a lot easier to use so the switch is actually fine with me.
and because my imac isn't an isight one with FrontRow I'll have to get a universal base and remote... I'll probably just end up getting the A/V kit cuz lord knows I don't want to have to get off the couch the change tunes while I'm chillin at home listening to music on my sound system.
my imac has the optical audio-out port that I could plug into my Pioneer receiver but without the FrontRow remote I'd have to be in front of the computer when I wanted to change songs... unless the remote that controls the universal base and ipod can also control itunes thats on the mac thus controlling the music thats being ported out over the optical line but thats a different thread entirely and probably belongs on the ipod forum....
and besides, the optical audio line is really only beneficial for DTS Surround Sound signals and I'd just be sending junky compressed mp3 audio to my receiver anyways so a composite line is probably fine (like the one that comes with the A/V kit).

imac G5 (ALS) Mac OS X (10.4.1) Graphic Design

How will Adobe CS2 run on my imac G5 2.0 GHz?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.