Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud sync messes up keyboard shortcuts on ios

My keyboard shortcuts are all screwed up thanks to iCloud and ios8.

when I got my iphone6 all my shortcuts were gone after restoring from backup.

So I re-entered them one by one. Made a new list.

Since I made from scratch, my new list of shortcuts has some differences compared to the old one.

Then few days later I realized all my old shortcuts were back.

So I now have duplicates.

And since my new list has some differences I get some of the same shortcut keys leading to different phrases, and vice versa.

You'd think just merely deleting or re-editing would solve the problem. Nope, it didn't. All it does is make a new entry "in the icloud" whenever there's an edit. And deleted ones will come back again the next day.

AND to make matters worse, while re-editing my list I had made some mistakes, and even after going back to alter my mistakes, the wrong ones never went away.

The list just keeps piling up.

I edit an existing entry, it syncs and the next day the old and new both show up.

I delete, they all come back the next day - the new, the old, the edits, the deleted, everything.

So now some of my shortcuts I cant use because they either show mistakes or won't reflect the new updated phrases.

I don't use iCloud drive. Predictive text is off. Documents & Data is off. Backup on iCloud is off and deleted. Even keychain is off now. Anything and everything that can be switched off for iCloud is off except find my iPhone.

Keyboard shortcuts on my iPad, iMac, MBP were manually deleted and iCloud on these other devices are all off now.

Still, these didn't solve the problem.

The only option now is to disconnect iCloud altogether on my iPhone.

Oh and one more thing, if I type in a shortcut that contains more than 3letters in a form, eg an address field, Safari hangs.

It's a nightmare!

iPhone 6, iOS 8.0.2

Posted on Oct 30, 2014 11:20 PM

5 replies

Oct 31, 2014 11:03 AM in response to hovanvan

I am having the same issue as well. It's happened to me on more than one occasion where my keyboard shortcuts didn't work for days so I re-entered them one by one, only to have all of them show up days later, even the duplicates. Is there anyway to delete them permanently or edit them in the iCloud any where like you can edit contacts, or is there a way to clear them out completely and start over from scratch?

Nov 6, 2014 8:16 AM in response to fbratchett

Guess what?

I disconnected icloud since there was no way to stop my shortcuts from "mis-synching", and my phone call with the apple tech support left me even more frustrated as the support person obviously did not understand what I was talking about at all.

I Should be able to use my shortcuts as I wanted to. Or so I thought.

EVerything was fine for 4 days.

until I had to restart my phone today (double press home button stopped working for the 3rd time, but that was a whole other irritating iphone6 malfunction altogether).

All the keyboard shortcuts (old deleted/new/duplicates) pops up again.

AND MY ICLOUD WAS OFF THE WHOLE TIME!

It's either a cache problem within my phone itself or Apple connects to our phones to sync stuff even if icloud is off.

I don't know. I'm so sick of this and Apple. Not even sure if a hard reset would solve the problem.

Aug 14, 2015 1:01 AM in response to hovanvan

I am having the very same issue for months now. Unfortunately I didn't see your thread earlier so I opened a new one. I have even changed my Apple-ID (which gave me some hard times, but that's a different story), but those false or deleted shortcuts keep returning forever, no matter how often I delete or change them. Still no idea what's going wrong here.

iCloud sync messes up keyboard shortcuts on ios

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.