Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

The all-new Logic Pro for iPad and Mac delivers breakthrough music-making experiences. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Logic Pro 9.1.8 keeps crashing

Hi everyone, my copy of Logic Pro keeps crashing. It loads for a few seconds and then crashes with an error message.

Sometimes this:

Crashed Thread: 7 com.apple.audio.IOThread.client

and other times this:

Crashed Thread: 20 com.apple.appkit-heartbeat

I've tried forums and also phoned Apple support, who pointed me towards these:

Hi Chris,

Here is the main troubleshooting page for Logic:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2375

The default location for MIDI drivers is Macintosh HD ▸ Library ▸ Audio ▸ MIDI Drivers

This is mentioned in http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4612

If it was an issue with plug ins or audio units there are located /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components as per http://support.apple.com/kb/HT201199

None of the above has helped.

Also In my HD>Library>Preferences folder there are no com.logic.pro etc files to remove? Which is recommended in one of the threads.

It was running fine until the other day. The most notable change is that I installed/started using an Alesis Vortex Wireless with their Vysex Editor.

Although removing this and all AU plugins/drivers/re-wire etc and doing all the recommended steps in the above threads has not helped.

I am using a 2012 Mac Mini i7 with Mountain Lion everything is up to date. I have tried removing and re installing Logic.

Mainstage, Reason and Cubase are working.

Please help! I seem to be out of options so far and have valuable clients whose work I need to finish!

Many thanks,

Chris

Mac mini (Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), MOTU 828

Posted on Oct 31, 2014 5:38 AM

3 replies

Oct 31, 2014 6:05 AM in response to chriswise0

Also In my HD>Library>Preferences folder there are no com.logic.pro etc files to remove? Which is recommended in one of the threads.

You are not looking in the correct library...... You need to look in the User Library not the System Library.....

Follow the instructions exactly as described....

Make sure Logic is not running and then.........

Delete the User Preferences

You can resolve many issues by restoring Logic Pro back to its original settings. This will not impact your song files. To reset your Logic Pro user preference settings to their original state, do the following:

1. In the Finder, choose Go > Go to Folder from the menu.
  2. Type ~/Library/Preferences in the "Go to the folder" field.
  3. Press the Go button.
  4. Remove the com.apple.logic.pro.plist file from the Preferences folder. Note that if you have programmed any custom key commands, this will reset them to the defaults. You may wish to export your custom key command as a preset before performing this step. See the Logic Pro User Manual for details on how to do this. If you are having trouble with a control surface in Logic Pro, then you may also wish to delete the com.apple.logic.pro.cs file from the preferences folder.
  5. If you have upgraded from Logic Pro 7, you may also need to remove ~/Library/Preferences/Logic/com.apple.logic.pro.

Restart your Mac and then test......

Logic Pro 9.1.8 keeps crashing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.